Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, May 4, 2018

MTR Vegetarian Indian Restaurant, Singapore






Problem
Where to eat Indian in Singapore, not too expensive, indoors, convenient?

Answer
MTR fits the bill with regard to convenience. Just near Farrer Park MRT station, which is one stop from Little India. The restaurant is opposite a colourful Indian temple. And only a block or two quick walk from the huge Indian department store Mohammed Mustapha's.

MTR
MTR stands for Mavalli Tiffin Rooms. The restaurant is comfortable enough, not so grand that you are paying excessive prices. We were welcomed immediately and went into their second and less crowded room. The dishes are pictured on the menu and conveniently flash across the TV screen on one of the walls.

I started with a mango lassi. The price list is separate from the main list which is a bit annoying.
 When I finally got to see it, I found that prices didn't make much difference to what I ordered. For example, the desserts were all the same price except one which was 50 cents cheaper.

Added Costs
They do add ten per cent to the sit down meal, and, oddly, ten per cent for takeaway, which I presume is to cover the containers. So no saving in having a takeway meal, unlike England where you save the ten percent service charge.

Masala Dosai
They had more vaiations on dosai than I'd ever seen before with great explanations. From the menu I learned what had always puzzled me. Sometimes I get a masala dosa which is soft like a tandoori nan and sometimes it is a greasy crisp. From their copious explanations I discovered that one type of dosai is cooked both sides, with the resulting crisp which I don't like. Their menu is very clear.

Masala - spice
Dosa - pancake

Masala dosai is usually with spiced potato and I like potato so this is what I go for.

That said, the food did not live up to our expectations. Despite everything said on the menu, and by reviewers on Tripadvisor, I was underwhelmed. I don't like over spicey food, but I do expect it to taste of herbs or coconut or almond or something distinctive. We were a group of four, and the two other lunch guests were not excited either. I was the only one who wanted to order dessert.

We don't have the urge to go back.

My return visit in Singapore will probably be to the Indian restaurant in Albert Court, which I have visited three times, usually at one year intervals on visits to Singapore. Their food can be too spicey.

Noise Level
The echo was so great that even talking at top volume there's no fear of others hearing your private conversations.

So, for brilliant food, look elsewhere.

Location
For a prime location, reasonably clean surroundings at reasonable prices, here's the place.

Happy Note?
Let's end on a happy note. I was really pleased with the location. Not far to walk. They had two of my favourites, mango lassi and masala dosai. The prices were fine. The menu was amusing with the history of the restaurant and a bit about Singapore too.

(Photos to be added later.)

Useful Websites
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masala_dosa

TRAVEL
visitsingapore.com
Singapore Airlines official website
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sg/

Train line of Singapore, government official map:
https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/dam/ltaweb/corp/PublicTransport/files/Train%20System%20Map%2029122016.pdf

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: