Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, May 17, 2018

Why You Should Learn To Swim And Teach The Family To Swim

Photo of pool in Singapore by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

Problem
I just received this press release and thought I'll put it up straight away it was so important I've just copied it all. I remember standing in a post office in New Zealand reading about the history of postage stamps in Australia and New Zealand. A survey down under found the surprising fact that most swimming deaths were not in the sea but in back yard pools. So they started a campaign, supported by postage stamps, getting every garden pool surrounded by lockable fences.

Singapore pools are not protected. When I lived in Maryland, USA, pools in apartment complexes had to have lockable gates and lifeguards on duty.

When I got married and found out I was pregnant, I insisted that my husband who could not swim should take lessons.

I've seen videos showing that even babies who cannot yet walk can be taught how to float.

Meanwhile, here's more information on the upcoming learn to swim day:

 On behalf of our industry partner, the World Waterpark Association, we're reaching out today to encourage you to be a part of the World's Largest Swimming Lessonä (WLSL) this year. This global event takes place Thursday, June 21st in more than 26 countries and your participation could help TEAM WLSL reach its goal of spreading the message swimming lessons save lives to more than 30 countries this year. 
According to the World Health Organization, in 2015, an estimated 360 000 people died from drowning, making drowning a major public health problem worldwide. In terms of prevention, WHO states that "teaching school-age children basic swimming, water safety and safe rescue skills" is a key approach for drowning prevention. [...]

More information from:

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. I have other posts on swimming, the USA, Singapore, the UK and riversides and seaside and water worldwide. Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: