Travel worldwide: UK; hotels; restaurants; museums; vineyards; factory tours; learning languages.
Search This Blog
Popular Posts
-
How many places you have visited have their names given to famous people? I remember as a schoolchild learning that Florence Nightingale wa...
-
Timberlab in the Netherlands makes seats, lights and fences. They use sustainable wood. The benches are entirely wood, no metal nails, nor ...
-
Singapore flag See Singapore by state-of-the-art MRT, on driverless trains. Maps of Downtown Line At Cashew MRT station, one stop ...
-
I was sitting at the kitchen table thinking: how would you create an emergency sewing needle? I had in front of me on the table a sewing ki...
-
Selfie with the Queen at a shop selling all things British at the airport. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright. Problem Where should...
-
ISBN The ISBN number, short for International Standard Book Identifier is the 13 digit book order code which gives the country, publisher,...
-
Benjamin Disraeli, Queen Victoria's favourite MP, and Prime Minister, said: 'When I want to read a book, I write one.' I am the...
-
My first thoughts were of the author Israel Zangwill. Then of many American stars called Jordan. I did a little research with the help of ...
-
Korean flag. What connection do you and I have with Asia? Many of my clothes are made in China. Today I have eaten sushi from Japan and soy ...
-
I have visited fifty countries. My family have had homes in the UK, the USA, Spain, and Singapore. We have had au pair girls living with u...
Labels
Thursday, March 7, 2013
Do Not Approach A Lion
I've read about three injuries and fatalities involving lions recently.
1 Article in the Sunday Times described regret of a mother that she let herself be persuaded by zoo owner to let her son into a lion's cage where he was injured and scarred.
2 Woman in Africa is killed while making love outdoors.
3 Female intern is killed in USA.
They had to kill the lion because they were trying to get into its cage to remove the injured woman.
I am shocked that people handling lions have no protective clothing or defensive items visible.
They need protective gloves. Protective clothes. A helmet covering the neck. Thick body armour like the sort worn by motorcyclists. Metal boots.
A shield. In the UK a council employee told me every London borough has a suit to wear to deal with rabid dogs.
What safety measures are inside the cage? Meat to throw as a distraction - containing sleep-inducing drugs.
A tranquilizer on the body of the person entering the cage to activate to defend themselves?
A blanket or net to fall from the ceiling to trap the lion?
A sign warning DO NOT ENTER CAGE.
In Las Vegas you see one, two or three persons in a large enclosure with lions in the centre of the hotel behind glass, throwing balls at the lions. At least with three people in the cage two could go to the rescue of the third.
Not the first time.
A woman died at a Malaysian zoo where you are photographed beside a lion which is kept attached to a chain and has a minder. The woman slipped on wet leaves. Presumably the sudden movement startled the lion. It bit her. Can't remember whether she died instantly or later. I'd just visited that zoo and decided against having my photo taken beside the lion.
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.
Follow me on Blogger.com ; Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment