Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, March 4, 2013

Speech Judging: how to you rate a speech - should scores by revealed?


In Singapore I attended a useful training session for would be contest speakers at an advanced club meeting at Braddell Heights Community Centre.
At Toastmasters International regular meetings we announce the first and second and sometimes third place winners but don't release scores for topics and speeches and evaluations.
Good reasons for this. If you got no votes you might be completely demoralised. Especially if a newcomer. Equally so if highly experienced. Equally, you might feel resentful if one person got all the votes, or if everybody got two or three votes so that one more vote (you voting for yourself would have made you the winner). Once you become more experienced you might vote for somebody else if you think your speech is better but you want a newcomer to win - although I understand you are supposed to vote for best speech/topic/evaluation regardless.
More useful is to explain the contest judging criterion in advance. The first time I entered a humorous speech contest I thought my speech was by far the funniest. I got audience laughs; both I and friends in the audience were baffled as to why I hadn't won.
So I asked a senior toastmasters. It turned out that he had been one of the judges. He pointed out that though he could not comment on my speech, the criteria for judging (which I'd never seen) allocated more points to the content and structure of the speech. I'd done a stand-up comedy skit. (I'd just been to a comedy workshop course). I gave a series of funny jokes on the theme of teacher's mishaps and troubles teaching, very amusing stories from my career teaching, but no point or message, no punchline, no summary, no  call to action.
Summary of this comment: don't reveal judges and scores, but make it clear in advance what judges should be looking for.
Hold a training session in the meeting prior to contest on what makes a good speech. Don't just allow that training to be optional, so it's done mostly by advanced clubs. Schedule pre-contest speaking/judging training session, with a target speech, into a Toastmasters worldwide calendar. Scheduled training would be really helpful for new presidents, new VPEs arranging meetings and agendas; plus potential contestants, new members, new judges, and those keen to enter first time or scared to do so - who after training might enter contests or volunteer as judges, if they had previously been given guidance.

No comments: