Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, October 31, 2014

Who reads this blog, any blog, popular blogs?

Every day I watch the number of readers of my blog and try to work out what are the popular subjects. This month Halloween spider cake, although it's in a local suburban UK shop, got more viewers than top restaurants in central London.

American Readers
I view my readership stats provided by the site and compare yesterday versus today. I know that most of my readers are in the USA. Presumably simply because there are more English speaking computer owners there than anywhere else in the world.

London as A Topic
 If I write about London, and I am a Londoner, they may be Americans planning a trip to London, or interested in London, or fondly reminiscing, or armchair travelling.

Isolated Small Areas
I expect to get a surge in Singapore readers when I write about Singapore, but I don't. I puzzle over a lone reader in the Ukraine or Russia. Is that somebody in a hotel on a business trip? Or an isolated traveller? Someobdy stuck, unable to travel, in a war zone? Or a prisoner in solitary confinement seeing me as a link with the far off world? (As a creative writer and author I have to constantly fight down the urge to write a short story about what I imagine every other sentence I write.)

Time Travel
I look at the time difference. Oddly enough my computer says 1.50 A.M. when it's 8.51 in the morning in the UK.

Top Subjects
If you take magazines, years ago IPC, when I was working there, did a survey and found that the top subjects were Cookery, Gardening, and Fishing. That might explain the popularity of the spider cake post.

Top Blogs
How do you get more readers? By being different? Or copying the leaders?

Somebody has analysed the top blogs. The average can be the mean or the mode, the typical reader, or most common readers, or simply the middle point in the range.

Here's a guide to readers of the top blogs.
http://royal.pingdom.com/2013/03/01/blog-readership-demographics-2013/

No comments: