Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Word of the day - one or double? English and German

For years I've been making lists of foreign words when I travel. Or read a newspaper. Or the label on a dress, or a battery or a box of chocolates.

Sometimes I see one useful word and wonder what to do with it. One word is not long enough for a list to start a post on a blog. Today I had an aha moment. Word of the day! Yes, I can use that in a bilingual Toastmasters International Speaking club, or when talking about them. I could keep a word of the day in my diary when learning Spanish. That's 365 words a year. Enough for a short, friendly conversation. As Oscar Wilde says, take your diary on the train in order to have something exciting to read on the train.

My word of the day

German-English - doppelgänger (same in English - or just double)

You can try using this in a short English or German sentence. It's a great conversation opener and way of making friends. You have a doppelgänger - my friend ......

If all blonde girls, or tall guys, or Americans, or Germans, or Asians, seem alike to you, easy to turn this into a plus point. My friend has the same blonde hair, is about as tall as you are  ... your doppelgänger.

Black Forest Toastmasters - Toastmasters Belgium

https://sites.google.com/.../b1toastmasters/clubs/.../black-forest-toastmasters-...
Black Forest Toastmasters of Brussels is a German-English bilingual club, founded in 2006: We use both languages to an equal degree ...


PS
Words of tomorrow and yesterday:
delicatessen 
kindergarten

So now you know a word of today doppelgänger. And what is the German for double? Doppel? 

No comments: