Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Salsify on the restaurant menu - what is it?

I just looked up salsify which is on the website menu of Incanto restaurant, Harrow on the Hill, UK.
The name from either French or another language such as Spanish or Italian means either black bark or serpent (shape) root. It looks like asparagus. The black skin is peeled off before or after cooking leaving you with a white vegetable which looks like asparagus.

I think I have been served it several times and wondered why my asparagus was not mentioned on the menu, and why it was so white and didn't have asparagus flavour. (I assumed they had yesterday's asparagus and were using up the last of it and didn't list it because they were embarrassed to be running out or because it was poor quality. Not wanting to upset the host or staff I kept quiet. Hysterically funny.) Mystery solved.


A fuller explanation of the word origin and where it is and was grown is in Wikipedia.

No comments: