Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, October 10, 2014

Visiting the UK for wine tasting - picking the right night and day

I recently attended a wine tasting at the London wine school. We had a talk and tasting from one of France's foremost producers of biodynamic wines. Confirmed what I know already, that I like sweet muscat, but the red dry wines were really earthy.

I tasted a wonderful flowery perfumed wine - voted best value wine of the night. 

My only disappointment was that the winemaker did not go into fruit and wine days. I already had the calendar (pictured below). I had mistakenly assumed this was something to do with when you harvest wines.

I did a search on the internet under WINE FRUIT DAY and immediately found half a dozen sites dealing directly with the subject. To my surprise what popped up was the days on which the consumer should taste wines.


  • Biodynamic Wine Tasting--Fruit day v Root day. Don't call it bunk ...

    forums.egullet.org › The Kitchen › Beverages & Libations › Wine

    23 Sep 2012 - 1 post - ‎1 author
    posted in Wine: Biodynamic Wine Tasting Fruit day vrs root day . call it bunk until you experience itFruit day vrs root day ... call it bunk until you ...
  • Fruit, Leaf, Flower, or Root: Tasting Wine According to the ...

    www.chow.com/.../fruit-leaf-flower-or-root-tasting-wine-according-to-th...

    30 Mar 2011 - Some people say that on fruit days wines show more fruit, on root daysthey taste earthier, etc. For me, however, it's usually just the difference ...
  • Biodynamics: Fruit and Root days | decanter.com

    www.decanter.com › People & Places › Articles

     Rating: 5 - ‎2 votes
    24 May 2010 - Do you have a favourite wine – one that you turn to again and again? Do you find that it tastes better on some days than on others? We're not ...
  • Fruit Day | Heliotrope Wines

    heliotropewines.com/about/fruit-day
    When the moon enters the constellations of Aries, Leo, or Sagittarius we go into fruit day on the Biodynamic calendar. These days are for cultivating plants that ...

  • A reasonably priced book on the subject is:

    When Wine Tastes Best by Maria and Matthias Thun. This is available as a booklet (£3.99 Floris Books) and also as a download.

    The first account I read suggested that you test it out by trying it out for yourself. The author had wines which were going off on subsequent days. You can solve this problem by buying a Coravin (from Harrods in London) which removes the need to open a bottle to have a tiny taste.

    The author of the first blog I read thought the moon might affect the consumer's body clock rather than affecting the wine.  

    The links above to the sites are for when I and you have time to read more. (Alas I must go back to work. I am a student about to take level one at WSET. Another member of my family is way ahead at Diploma level and I'm trotting along behind trying to keep up - without falling over.) My wine tasting must be saved for evenings and weekends and days out on winetastings at vineyards.)





    Here's a wine calendar. When you should taste fruity or flowery wines? 




    No comments: