Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, April 21, 2017

Secrets of Singapore Buses - driving you loopy!

Some buses are easier than others but most are easier than you think.
This picture shows the handy information sign overhead on the 184 from Bukit Panjang DTI (meaning Downtown Line first stop). It continues along the main highway via Downtown line railway stations Cashew dt2  and Hillview Dt3 and Beauty World to Clementi to Clementi CC (Community Centre).

The word Clementi is on the front of the bus.


Problem
I visited the Clementi Community Centre for a Toastmasters International meeting. When I came out I expected to find my return bus stop on the other side of the road.

As in the UK and other places in Singapore the numbers of several buses are on the post of the stop as well as given in detail in the bus shelter over nearby seats.

I asked the driver of the ext bus which stoppef where i could find my bus. He pointed over the road.

I replied, that.s where i got off. Now i want to go home in the other direction.

He explained, "It is a loop".

On the retun I had only a printout of the girst half of the route. On my outward journey I had looked out of the winow on my left on the pavement (in the USA you call it sidewalk). I watched the stops' names and looked right for landmarks as well as signposts trying to visualise the city state map.

In the evening it was dark outside and the windows were misted and I was on the wrong side of the bus.

However, when somebody rang 'bus stopping' on a button above my head I realised that the stop buttons are not only on the pillars beside the doorways. You can reach them from other sears without having to leap up well in advance and risk being thrown off your feet standing as the bus swings around a corner or brakes for your stop.

In addition the bus stppoing overhead panel alternates with the name of the next stop.

Story
When I first came to Singapore in the 1990s I always took the MRT rather than the bus. Back in the bad old days fewer buses were air conditioned.

But now that I have had to take a bus which goes door to door to some locations instead of taking three train lines and changing twice at train stations with long underground walks at stations plus, staircases or escalators of lifts, plus a longer walk at both ends, I have started to appreciate buses.

No comments: