Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, April 21, 2017

Light Relief - writing poems whilst travelling


Problem
How to pass the time during a delay? How to see the funny side? How to make good use of your time? I write comic poetry and when I remember and feel inspired I write poems about problems. I met a Singapore Airlines pilot at a toastmasters International meeting and said I would give him a poem, but our paths did not cross again. He was always away flying. However, for your entertainment, here's a new reproduction of my poem.

Answer
To be performed wearing a cap with gold buttons.

The Pilot Speaking
by Angela Lansbury

"This is your co-pilot speaking
I promise we're leaving on time
I know you feel like you're dying
Just breathe deeply, and you'll be fine ..."

"This is your co-pilot speaking
I'm sorry about the delay
If you look out of the windows
You'll see goat herds on the runway

"We don't usually tell you
When we see a snake on the plane
I lift my feet in the cockpit
Calmly sigh, 'Oh no - not again!'

"Whilst I am waiting for the vet
I announce, 'We're waiting for parts ...'
I send for vets - and two doctors
Mine quickly checks my waltzing heart!

"We know you've paid lots of money
We pretend complaints don't cause stress
Altitude makes food taste funny
Crew clean toilets, they do their best

"I have you enjoy a pleasant flight
A safe journey, a lovely day
Remember whilst you have a holiday
We're working, driving, smiling, all day."

Copyright Angela Lansbury
April 21 2017

Quick facts
Single animals or whole herds can get onto fenced or unfenced runways, especially in Africa.
Snakes on the plane have happened several times - either in passenger area or cockpit. Planes from some destinations are checked for stowaways - local wildlife which slithers in. Animals and reptiles and pets can also escape when carried officially or unofficially in luggage, or hidden under the passenger's clothes.

Snakes on a plane
Wikipedia:
The (movie) story is credited to David Dalessandro, a University of Pittsburgh administrator and first-time Hollywood writer. He developed the concept in 1992 after reading a nature magazine article about Indonesian brown tree snakes climbing onto planes in cargo during World War II.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author, speaker, entertainer.

No comments: