Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Banana grabbing monkeys in Cambodia



Problem
Monkeys on the loose. In the Zenghua area of North Singapore a monkey has been on the loose. A few people have been feeding the monkey. Up to ten people have reported being bitten.

At a Toastmasters Club meeting at Zenghua Community Centre, the Sergeant At Arms, who opens the meeting, went around the table asking each person in term to give their name, club and view os what to do about monkeys. This produced varied views.


A day later I was talking to a friend about my recent trip to Cambodia where we tok a ride in a tuk-tuk and saw monkeys near monuments under nearby trees being fed by visitors.

My friend recalled her trip to Cambodia, with a monkey encounter. She had visited a temple and the tuk-tuk was parked outside. A small girl was selling bananas, cheaply.

My friend bought a bunch of small bananas. She placed the bunch on the lid of the backrest to the back seat. Suddenly a monkey jumped down from a nearby tree. It grabbed hold of the bananas and started eating them.

Along came some more monkeys. It was monkey's World War Three.

the first monkey had shot up a tree with its banana. I had been expected my fired to say, "I shot up the tree and grabbed back my banana."

Not so fast. Not so easy.

I was expecting my friend to say, "As we turned the corner I looked back and saw the key returning the bananas to the little girl so she could re-sell them to somebody else."

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.
Please share my posts.

No comments: