Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Who Cares About Disasters Overseas? France? Russia? Why? Why Not?



Some body on Facebook asked why atrocities in Paris, France attracted more attention and supposedly more sympathy than events in St Petersburg.

Every country reports on its own nationals first. News filters through slowly. But I am more affected if an incident affects somebody I know, or associated with a place near where I live.

I can't speak for anybody else. However, I believe we do care. However, people generally feel more upset about nearby places they have been to whose language they speak.

I am sure that countries which speak Russian, have borders with Russia, or large numbers of tourists going there will feel and say and do more. Any Russian language publication will carry more news reports and arouse more reaction.

More people on an English language site have to change travel plans or call friends and family when an incident happens in Paris than in far away St Petersburg.

Places You Know In Russia
I have been to St Petersburg but could not even place it accurately on a map. It has changed its name which contuses me. I recall as a student standing with others reading world famous Volgograd. We all looked puzzled until somebody realised and explained, We're in St Petersburg!

St Petersburg has changed its name which confuses me.

Places You Know In France
I speak French. The trains from London go through France or Paris. Ferries from Britain go to France. So I care about France, Paris, and travelling to or through Paris and France. I can name several places in Paris, Notre Dame cathedral, the Eiffel Tower.

Songs
The words France and Paris immediately evoke English language songs such as I Love Paris in the Springtime. I can't name a song about St Petersburg.

Change of Travel Plans
More people on an English language site are in the UK or the USA and have to change travel plans or call friends and family when an incident happens in Paris than in far away St Petersburg.

St Petersburg is known for its heroic defence against the invaders in WWII. (I may add more later. Now I must go back to work.)

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.

No comments: