Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, April 17, 2017

Insects Carried With You Or Breeding Back Home? Prevention and Cure


Problems
Our household effects went into storage in Singapore. When I unpacked I found holes in books, holes in cushion covers and holes in carpets.
I find holes in clothes the UK and Singapore.
My friends came home from a hotel overseas and had bed bugs in their suitcase which infected the whole house.

Answers
Then and now I have been researching. My latest results:
Recommendation to check the Canadian moths website. Don't take my word for anything. I'm simply summarising my findings for speed for myself and you. Check out what works for you and what is the advice from official sources for your part of the world.

What I found:
Freezing
Putting clothes, bags, shoes in the fridge or freezer is not enough. You must get everything below freezing point. (Most fridges are set to plus five centigrade which is enough to chill but not kill everything, just slows down the process. You must make sure your freezer is below freezing point. Especially if it is old or the dial has been knocked or you have defrosted recently and turned off and reset dials.

Cedar wood shavings
Wiki tells you the ingredient which moths don't like. I can never remember it so there's no point in trying and reporting it. I am convinced it works.

But the smell eventually wears off. So you have to keep replacing the cedar wood. Any packet sold to you for moth proofing will tell you.

Cedar Wood Balls
You can buy cedar wood balls and refresh them with cedar wood scent. That's if you like smooth balls which are less likely to get tangled in clothes.

I needed so many I looked for the cheapest on Amazon.

Cedar Wood Shavings From Pet Store
You can also get cedar wood shavings from pet stores. I presume they are to keep insects off your cats or dogs or other pets. They would also be needed to repel insects from cushions and furniture and even bedding if your animal has escaped or been cuddled and has imported unwanted insects.

Washing Clothes
The moth prevention website says that moths' larvae (babies) eat urine, perspiration and food stains.

At long last I have found a good reason why you should:
Wash out stains
Wash out dirty clothes
Wash out items even if only worn for a short while

You wash everything, not just because clothes smell better, not just to catch stains you may have missed, not just to prevent stains settling in and solidifying, but to remove sources of food for clothes moths.

Another reason for vacuuming your carpets after parties and before leaving your home or second home empty, to get rid of lurking moths which will be breeding undisturbed in the dark when you have left your home without lights or with curtains drawn.

One blogger said she does a complete cupboard empty and clothes check every three months. The same apples to the unused spare room, clothes stored in suitcases, basements and attics.

Another good reason for vacuuming under beds and sofas and low tables, to disturb and eliminate moths. You also want to empty the vacuum cleaner bags.

What about kitchen or food moths? One suggestion is glass jars.

https://www.moth-prevention.com/pages/identify-moth-problems
See my previous posts on eliminating termites and other insects.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Please share posts. Thank you.

No comments: