Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, November 24, 2018

Artwork on MRT station Bencoolen and along Waterloo Street

One of my favourites.

I passed it on Bencoolen MRT underground railway station in Singapore, just around the corner from the Singapore Art Museum. I went down the escalator because I was in a hurry to get to my destination but the escalator was short, so I thought, it will only take a minute to go up again and take one photo. I took five photos.

The Plaque
Then, as I took the escalator down a second time, I noticed the plaque to the right of the artwork, presumably like those I had seen on other stations, describing the work and the author.
You are not short of viewing art in this area. One giant artwork in front of the Art Museum, shops which resemble art galleries, and then this mural on the underground.

I thought, never mind about the description of the author. I can probably find that on the internet in a section on Singapore stations.

Private art galleries (shops) are along the street where you find Bencoolen station entrance. 


Artists on a mural in the underground MRT station Bencoolen in Singapore. Photo by Angela Lansbury.  Copyright.

I checked the lta (Land transport authority) for the title of the artwork. It is called Tracing Memories. Looking at my photo again, I notice the reflections from the spotlights behind me are intrusive. On the other hand the spotlights above each figure are very effective in drawing your attention and giving importance to each person. 

I assumed that the figures are all one person. But her outfit is different colours, red, blue, yellow, red again, blue again.

Comparing my version with the one on the lta website, I note that their photographer has taken the Mural from the right and close up. That way you can get the nearest figure larger, the others receding into the distance. I backed away until I could get in the whole camera using a simple smartphone.

Useful Website

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: