Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, November 19, 2018

Would you be a Google Local Guide? I signed up, wrote up a hotel and condo, then checked how guides differ from blogs

Why did I sign up?
I am qualified to do so in an area where I live.
On many websites more qualified people are ahead of you.
It gives me visibility and credibility.

I often think of joining wikipedia. I used to write for encyclopaedias. It involves a lot of work and fact checking.

Signing up was easy. Since Google already knows me. I am already on Google, so it wasn't a case of yet another organization wanting to mine my information.

What is interesting is the guidelines on what you can show which is of interest to other people. For example:
1 Parking places for the handicapped, slopes for wheelchairs and suitcases and useful points of access.
2 Child-friendly places. Pet-friendly locations.
3 Food for those on diets.

I had written about two places I know well. First I wrote about the Sheraton Towers Hotel, which is open to the public.

Sheraton Towers Hotel, Singapore. Photo by Angela Lansbury.

Then I saw Cashew Heights Condo was listed. On my travel blog I would not mention a condo, except the parts you can see from the road. I might mention what you can expect if you go to live in another country or stay there with family.

Why would Google include an office block or condo? On second thoughts, you might be one of the thousands who work in the building. You might deliver to it. You might be thinking of working there, renting a room there, buying there.

The style of life for workers and residents might influence whether you take a job in that city or street.

You might just be curious. What's inside that building? Somebody I know works there or lives there - what is it like?

Cashew Heights Condo, Singapore. Photo by Angela Lansbury.

I said of Cashew Heights:

This complex is beautifully landscaped with fish ponds and a series of blocks with restful curves in mock art deco style surround the central swimming pool. Delightful palm trees and coconut trees and cashew nut trees are in the centre.

The huge swimming pool has a spa bath at one end. Two or more swimming instructors give swimming lessons to children. A separate children's pool has a slide and fountains.

The restaurant is under renovation (late 2018). Se A small shop provides milk and other useful items.

The tennis courts and two small gyms are well used. The gym is crowded on Sunday. If you want to use a piece of equipment, go there at lunch time.

Residents are friendly.

A pleasant path in a series of s shapes winds down to the lower gate near the station passing trees labelled with plaques and a couple of wildlife plaques on trees, animals and birds - like a miniature Botanic Gardens.

Like most condos in Singapore, tight security. If you have a friend who lives there, make sure to see the fish ponds and foliage.

After I read the guidelines, I noticed several ways I could make the text more useful, as well as adding pictures.

I could photograph the ramps in the condo's apartment blocks. I could show the visitor parking areas you must use to avoid being fined for parking in the resident's' numbered places. The complex is huge. I could photograph the exit gates and say which gate you need for which bus stops and train stations. I could show the outoodr exercise machine area.

A useful guide is not the same as a fun-to-read guide. A blog has to be more of an entertainment, more personal. A google guide has to be factual and practical.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: