Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, November 19, 2018

In the packet - three buns with sesame seeds, and three green buns - what a picture! A poem praising buns

Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.


Now, with the lid off, we can see clearer. What shall I choose, the ones with the sesame topping, or the green ones? 

Singaporeans like green. They think it suggests fresh green plants or fruit.

Looking at the picture, savouring it, is like eating twice.
Three green buns. Sounds like the nursery rhyme, Three Blind Mice. 

The Story Of Six green Buns
Six green buns
Six green buns
We're all so happy when breaktime comes
Six big buns.

The order of eating is all rhearsed
We let the visitors go first
We want them all to share the fun
Five green buns.

I'm watching the numbers carefully
To be sure there's one left for me
Four green buns.

I think I ought to hand them round
I need some food so I survive
We all need food to stay alive
Three green buns

Good, someone says, Already had
I smile because I'm very glad
If they'd all gone I would be mad
Three green buns.

Three big buns.
Three big buns.
The green one is my favourite one
I ate the green one, now it's gone
Two big buns

One of them has sesame seeds
It looks delicious, it was indeed
One big bun.

No-one saw that I took too
But I must leave one for you
Hurry, friend you must be fast
Or otherwise I'll take the last ...

With two of us - I have to share
I'll share with you to show I care
No big buns.
No big buns.

But we have shared our memory
What we ate for last weekend's tea 
Green been paste, kaya, (and) sesame
Three big buns.

I'm looking forward to next weekend
Three dollars isn't a lot to spend
In Singapore eating never ends
I dream about them every day - six green buns.

Author, Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.

No comments: