Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, November 2, 2018

Why do Singaporeans like green pandan cakes?

The Singapore flag.


Green pandan cakes, which you can buy at bakeries and patisserie kiosks in shopping malls all over  Singapore, look elegant and interesting and are served at snacks at break times in meetings. The pandan cakes look enticing. 

However, to me, the flavour is disappointing. 

I always ask, 'What is this?'

If I see that one cake is lemon, the other is pandan, I lurk near the lemon, very pleased to see that local Singaporeans are avoiding the lemon and opting for the pandan. 

What have I got against pandan? The first time I saw a green cake, I thought it was pistaccio. What a disappointment! Nothing like the taste and texture and crunchiness of pistaccio. Was it mint?  No. Nothing like the acid bite of mint. So what do Singaporeans think?

I asked one, "Mike. Why do you prefer the pandan?' 

He answered:  'I think it's healthy and refreshing. The green colour suggests leaves - and green leaves are healthy.'

Cakes are full of flour and sugar. Fruit is healthier. I would rather have bananas and grapes. To me pandan cakes are like fake news. I am pleased to leave the pandan to the locals, whilst I am looking longingly at the lemon cake.

For decades Singlish was frowned on. Now advertisers are using it to appeal to the average to add local flavour, to sound chatty and informal.

Author, Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.
See my other posts on Singlish and Singapore food.

No comments: