Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Learning Languages - a peek at Polish - some easy first words

Problem
How to get over fear of starting Polish?

Answer
I would start with some easy vocabulary. I was sent a message in Polish about a meetup. I translated it in Google translate to see if I could recognize some easy words. Then I went back to Duolingo, lesson one to look for some simple words and hints on structure.

English - Polish
colleague - kolega
mum - mama
father - tata
wine  - wino

Polish - English
kolega - colleague
mama - mum
tata - father
wino - wine

Polish and Slavic languages do not have 'a' and 'the'. You would say I am man for I am a man.

Duolingo
Go to the forum in the first lesson for lots of useful tips from other learners.

Useful websites
duolingo.com

I shall add more to this post later.
Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, teacher of English and other languages.

No comments: