Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, October 16, 2019

How to be funny in English and other languages

How to be funny - especially in a foreign language.

SPEECH
If your attempt to speak a foreign language makes them laugh - try opening or ending with a couple of words which make them smile.
Try counting to ten in each language.



New Zealand flag.

New Zealander's say six like sex.



Offer Chinese speakers a choice of pointing to six or a sexy girl.

Sing a song. Or a nursery rhyme.
Mix the languages. Six Ten Green Bottles hanging on the wall. 



In German. You start with ten, then, nine, which is nein. do a double act with a German.

MIME
Use mime.

GESTURE
Exaggerated gesture. Horror eg
Planes takes off as you drink coffee.
Ferry bounces as you try to eat soup.

Use Exaggeration.
Limp in.
Do you ski well?
I ski like a rocket. I did that on day one, in my first lesson. I'k
d never skiied before and I broke my ankle. The man in the ambulance could not believe I survived. I was heading for the top of the cliff and the instructor came racing after me so fast we don't know how he survived. After he went over the cliff. We were both insured. The difficulty was phasing the claims.
Alternatively:
Skiing? I was so afraid I padlocked myself to the locker in the changing room.

Do the opposite of what is expected.
At a ski resort in the evening, they suggest doing swimming in the spa.
So grin and get out a bikini and a pair of ski boots.

Useful Websites
https://www.toastmasters.org/magazine/magazine-issues/2018/dec2018/20-humor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_friend

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: