Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, April 9, 2018

Plantar Fasciitis - heel problems and solutions

Problem
I had bad heel pain. The odd thing was, it was worse first thing in the morning.

Answers
First I looked at my shoes to see if they were causing the problem. Flat shoes were not offering me much protection when my heel hit a flat surface.

The Drug Store
I went to a drug store in Singapore and looked for cushioned insoles. The price was huge. The trouble was, the insoles fell out of my sandals which had open toes and open heels.

Back in the UK, I spoke to another woman who had the same problem. Her doctor gave her a pain relieving gel.

My next thoughts were:
1) ask the pharmacist, and
2 ) Phone the NHS helpline.

However, I needed to see a doctor about some pills so I booked an appointment.

My Doctor's Advice
My doctor told me to use a rolling pin to rock under the centre of my foot.

Tennis ball for exercising the foot. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.
Physio
When I did an aqua class, it occurred to me that my teacher there knew a lot about physiotherapy having done a training course as part of her qualification. So I asked her. She recommended using a tennis ball.

The other reassuring thing was that she said her son had the same problem at the start of the football season. So it's not just being old or overweight and female or not getting enough exercise. You could by a younger male getting exercise and still have the problem.

In fact, my running up and down hills in Singapore to the MRT station seemed to be making the problem worse.

Ironically, the problem is worse first thing in the morning, after sleeping all night. The sudden movement after rest seems to make things worse. This was confirmed after I read an article on the internet.

My gym and aqua class lady also suggested putting your foot on a step and lifting it up and down to pull gently on the muscle to strengthen it.

The good news is, I didn't have to go straight into a hospital for an x-ray or an operation. I didn't need expensive medicine. I was likely to get better.

Tennis Balls
I asked my son if I should buy a new tennis ball or if it was OK for me to use an old tennis ball if I was given one by a tennis player or found one seemingly abandoned or lost in the bushes.

He said, not to worry about taking lost balls. He knows a keen tennis player. She had looked for a tennis ball to throw to a dog. She did not want to open a new tennis ball set because they are sold pressurised and fresh. Even opening the packet reduced the bounce of a ball.

A really old ball has lost a lot of its bounce and might well be abandoned by a keen player towards the end of a game or match.

A tennis ball would be easier for me to carry when travelling than a rolling pin.

Of course, my problem might be different to your problem. You must consult your own doctor and other experts and do your own research. However, I hope my pointers will offer you possibilities to explore, and enable you to be fit to walk when travelling.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.

No comments: