Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Wine Connection - French Food and Alsace Wine in Singapore




Problem
Where is Wine Connection? They have several branches. We had a jolly evening experiencing an Alsace 5 course wine dinner with six wines. The restaurant manager wanted us to be photographed with these funny props.


HillV2
One branch of Wine Connection is on the upper floor of HillV2 shopping mall a few steps from Hillview MRT on the Downtown line. The shopping area is so small that you can't miss Wine Connection, on the right as you walk from the up escalators to the supermarket. The supermarket is pricey Market Place (another upmarket branch in Tanglin, part of the Cold Storage group, different brand). We had passed the Wine Connection branch in HillV2 many times but not gone in because we are great fans of IO Italian restaurant next door. However, we were lured to their branch in the downtown area by an Alsace wine dinner featuring a 1998 vintage to celebrate their 20th anniversary.

Wine Connection
The Wine Connection branch we went to is near Telok Ayer MRT station, exit B.



After walking along a street surrounded by skyscrapers, we turned into a short cosy, romantic little pedestrian mall lit by fairy lights.

Wine Connection was at the far corner.

Passing the outside tables, we went to the air-conditioned restaurant at the back. Earlier in the day, we had emailed to warn them that I was allergic to shellfish.  I was relieved to find, on arrival that they knew all about that and were prepared.

If I were to go there again, I would ask for a seat on one of the banquettes along the wall, in order to have my bag beside me, conveniently, when I needed a pen or business card, instead of on the dirty floor.

Bar Stools With Backs
The dining chairs are squared high bar stools with backs, surprisingly comfortable once you manoeuvre yourself onto them. There's even a horizontal metal bar under the high table on which you can rest your feet, making you feel more secure.

I must admit that I do not understand the modern trend for perching tipsy people on bar stools which are likely to tip over, or tip the tipsy people off. I sat musing on the fact, bar stools for bars seem an idea which should have been stopped at the planning era by health and safety, here and worldwide.

However, perhaps I was being over cautious or pessimistic. Well into the 5-course meal, and seven assorted matched drinks, I congratulated myself on getting up onto the stool, and off it, and on again. Then we heard an alarming crash! A gentleman had fallen off his perch in the next room.

But what if he was not on a bar stool, just an ordinary low chair? If that's the case, how much worse if he had fallen from a height!

Although we knew nobody, we struck lucky with finding friends. We always do. I will chat about anything and everything, and after mesmerising somebody else, have the presence of mind to realise it is time to shut up and let them talk. My husband, having just got his diploma in wine, can talk or answer any question about wine, relentlessly.

I could not hear the lady at the next table so I got off my stool to stand nearer her and all four of got the same idea simultaneously. Push together the two tables for two. The result was a jolly evening.

The Water and The Wines


My Favourites Of The Food
The starter was tasty but fatty pork.












The second course was shellfish.
One big prawn each.

Sausage
I had two large sausages which I shared. They contained herbs. I think that's the mark of a superior sausage, like Cumberland sausage, something extra added, more plant life and less meat, fat or cereal. Our new Chinese friend was shocked to find herbs in the sausage. Not sure whether she disliked the taste or thought it was strange and inferior.

Potato Gratin
The main course contained potato gratin. I love potato gratin. Any meal or restaurant containing potato shoots up the list in my estimation. Anybody can boil up rice or spaghetti. Just add water. I suppose you can say the same of new potatoes. But potato gratin - that takes a cook.

Cheese
Finally cheese. The smelliest soft cheese you've ever met. Stronger than Camembert. Munster cheese  comes from the German city of Munster (known for bicycles tracks and a Picasso graphics museum).

Smiling Service
The restaurant manager was informative, the lady from Alsace came round to speak to us. The staff were to hand whenever you looked up. If you wanted another glass, a pen, a toothpick, whatever, you got it.

The starter of rillette of pork was not to my taste. I had filled up on bread so as not to be drinking on an empty stomach and four more courses to go. So I asked for half of it to be wrapped up to go.

At the end of the evening I received my leftovers in a paper tote bag. Next day we discovered the bag  contained the food, plus plastic knife and fork and paper napkins with the restaurant name. Excellent.

Wonderful Wines
My favourite wine was the Wolfberger "Signature" Pinot Gris equivalent of the grape called pino grigio in Italian) 2016. The usual retail price in Singapore was listed as $38 (Singapore dollars), with a promotional price of $29.

In Thailand, where Wine Connection started, you would be paying more, £26.80.

If you could get to France, you can get it for a bargain 7.7 Euros, showing as £6.47. But that's always the way. If you can afford the fare to France, or the country of origin of any wine, it's much cheaper than what you are charged when it has been flown half way around the world.

One day we hope to take a trip to Alsace. Then we will be able to visit to try and buy wines at local prices.

Can you visit 'the Wolfberger vineyard'? They are a co-op with 400 growers.

Useful Websites
visitsingapore.com
https://www.wolfberger.com/en/alsace-wines/
wineconnection.com.sg

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author ans speaker. Please share links to your favourite posts.


No comments: