Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, April 22, 2018

The Line Restaurant At The Shangri-La Hotel

Co-ordinated colour scheme of orange. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.



On a Saturday morning we had to queue five minutes for a table. The manager was efficient. We did not get a window seat near the gorgeous gardens and pool but by a blank interior wall with no decoration. Moral - go early for a table with a view.

The server rushed over and swept the crumbs off the table with a cloth. I prefer the system of brush and crumb container, so no risk of crumbs falling onto the floor underfoot.

I expect if you are at the hotel for two days you are used to the system. I found it confusing. My two companions sent me to fetch juice. The place is huge and no map. I went past the yogurts.
Copious food from the buffet. You can see Indian breads, fruit, baked beans and potatoes and lemon. Lively orange colour table setting. Photo by Angela Lansbury.  Copyright.

The food looked great: Indian food, the pastries. No indication of where to find plates and bowls - which had run out.  I asked for a bowl, waited five minutes The Chinese food.

 I spent ten minutes hunting. Finally, I found the juice. A sign said sparkling wine. I asked. Waited. Eventually a bottle appeared. Prosecco. My favourite.

But I nearly missed the sparkling wine.  My two companions had missed the Prosecco. They would never have found it if I hadn't turned up with it.

I went back for a plate. Then for the eggs and sausages and baked beans.

I didn't find the water until later.

A waitress bringing coffee couldn't find the adjacent table who had ordered another coffee. I suggest tables marked with numbers, like in British pubs. Even if the tables are not marked with numbers, the hotel could have a numbering system on the waiters' notepads. We were distracted because we thought it was our coffee and she was looking for us.

When we asked for the bill, and then the machine for credit card, she disappeared with our bill. Maybe she had not understood or was afraid to ask.

I was so busy hunting for bowls and plates and spoons and knives and forks and water - hardly any time to eat and speak to my friend. Our friend was catching a cruise so she was impatient to check out. We hailed the manager who instantly brought back the bill and the machine.

For the money we paid, $100 for two, you might think wonderful value as the sparkling wine and coffee were included. However, in a historic flagship hotel which proudly proclaims it entertains prime ministers I would expect better decor and service and the Prosecco on arrival, like at a wedding, not just a typed note saying sparkling wine which most people missed.

Nobody said goodbye and thank you and come again.

'Efficient and clean, 'says my husband.

Huge food choice and if you are not rushed and get a window seat I bet you'll be very satisfied. Lots of good things to say. Most people were happy.

However, all in all, an interesting experience.

Shopping
After breakfast, what next? Shopping. No shop. Just a cake shop. Nowhere for our friend who had arrived late last night to buy a Chinese dictionary, guide to Singapore, sarong, swimsuit, orchid jewellery or any Souvenir of Singapore before catching the shuttle to her ship. I suspect the hotel guests in the VIP wing think it's great. See my other posts about the shopping and the Orchid.


After all those calories, a walk around the grounds. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.
Wonderful 'Orchid'
Make sure you see the Orchid in the grounds. See my other posts on the Shangri-La hotel.

Useful Websites
http://www.shangri-la.com/singapore/shangrila/dining/restaurants/the-line/
visitsingapore.com

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: