Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, April 20, 2018

Your Name And My Name or Nickname In Chinese (Mandarin): Ann, Happy and Lucky

Problem
How do I get my name translated into Chinese? Years ago I paid to have my name written in Chinese in calligraphy at a tourist spot. I was upset when I had it done again and found a totally different drawing.

Answer
However, a friend told me that since the name could be written many ways, both of the artists' works were equally valid.

Angela has no direct translation. I asked somebody to give me a translation of Angel. I didn't like the sound and it was not memorable.

In Singapore in Orchard Road, the equivalent of London's Oxford Street, the main department store complex is called Ngee Ann city, after the founder-owner. I thought of combining my name with An.

I asked a Grab taxi driver to translate my name. I asked him for a translation of Lucky Ann.

It comes out like this:
Pronunciation (sound)
Sing Onn Ann. (That is easy to remember. Sing on or oon, Ann.)
The spelling is:
XIN YUN AN.

Lucky is a value judgement.

Happy is more of an accurate description.

Happy Ann becomes
Kai Sing An (pronunciation) and the spelling is
KAI XIN AN.

I could be Kai Sing An from Singapore. In a foreign language you have a chance to pick a new name or nickname, and market yourself with any name which brings you luck or makes you happy.

The Ngee Ann City Shopping Mall, located along shopping street Orchard Road, Singapore. (2MP version)
DateDecember 2006
SourceOwn work
AuthorImg by Calvin Teo
Permission
(Reusing this file)
CC-BY-SA-2.5, GFDL

Angela Lansbury
Travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.


No comments: