Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, May 5, 2020

How to Find Your Lost Photos! First, a photo list ...



The Challenge
I am now hunting for photos of a Toastmasters International event I organized for a report, using a slide show about that event. The event was a workshop last September, 2019 (the workshop subject being the new Toastmasters International speech training programme called Pathways).

The needed photos could be on my Facebook page. They are not. At least one group photo could be on my phone  - but I cannot find one. Where is it? I tried looking on my laptop's desktop. I searched the folders on my desktop. I looked on my Facebook page. I looked all over Facebook searching for the date, the venue, the subject.

The Solution
Eventually, I found the photo os my external disc. By process of elimination I worked it out. If the vital photos were not on this computer, which was in use a year ago during the event, where else could the photos be? Answer, moved to a separate disc to create more space for photos on my laptop.

To locate specific photos, I needed help, going through search everything, my name, pictures (not photos) and the dates. Now I plan to re-name every photo. At least I shall label one or two photos from the event. And to keep a note outside the computer and disc saying where to find the photo.

New Year's resolution. New year, new leaf - starting today May 5th 2020.

Photo List Book
An A4 size would be ideal, keeping many photos listed in one place.

I shall start a photo tracking book. It must be a large book, at least A5, normal paperback book size, so it does not get lost on the study shelves. For the same reason it must have a spine I can label. So a spiral binder will not do.

An A6 book, small diary size, pocket sixe, would be good for recording photos would be good if you kept it in your pocket whilst travelling on one trip. You might not want to travel with it and risk looking it. A loose leaf book would work. You could record your photos when travelling, then put them in the binder when you get home. A Filofax would be good.

Yes it will take up five minutes a day.  Why?

I need to record photos:

On a mobile phone.
On a lap top.

Printed Pictures
In frames in the house
In frames in the homes of others

Shared
Photos sent to others by Whatsapp.
Photos shared from other friends' Facebook pages.

Photos on old laptops.

Photos used in slides (Powerpoint).
Photos used in documents (Word).

Photos take from Wikipedia.
Photos in folders on my desktop.

Wow. I could spend alf an hour a day looking.

Alternatively I could be more careful listing the source of every photo I use. Is that photo of a lemon from Wikipedia, or from the bowl in the lounge, taken on my mobile, shared to blogger.

If I kept to this system, I would lose twenty minutes a day listing photos. On the other hand I would save thirty minutes a day looking for photos.

Wedding and Baby & Holiday Photo Books
One way to preserve photos and have them all in one place is to create a photobook. I did this for all my paintings and drawings.

Photographer's Books
Books designed for photographers contain handy sub headings reminding you to note whether you used a flash, a tripod, the camera, setting, the time of day, weather, and so on. One page per photo. That is too detailed for me.

Useful Websites
http://www.ebook-editor.com/how-to-use-bullet-points-and-numbered-lists-for-a-professional-ebook-conversion/
https://www.amazon.com/Photo-Notes-Log-Book-Photographers/dp/1451521111
https://www.hongkiat.com/blog/travel-apps-to-log-your-trip/
https://www.amazon.com/Camera-shooting-log-book-Photographers/dp/B08418PYRJ
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/114183606/galaxy-photographers-planner-and-handbook
http://www.tabletopstudio.co.uk/Pages/BooksDVDSoftware/DigitalPhotographyLogBook.htm
Notebooks with numbered pages and index choice of lines, grids or dots
https://www.amazon.com/Leuchtturm1917-Medium-Dotted-Hardcover-Notebook/dp/B003G6YFWY/ref=sr_1_2?crid=R9RSNH69257F&dchild
Looking for waterproof books or tear-proof pages: It's sometimes quicker to look on Amazon than on Google.
Book with good cover for rainy days and boat trips or skiing
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0797H5SMG?tag=liviandtravin-20

The Indestructible, Waterproof, Tearproof, Weatherproof Field Notebook - 3.5"x5.5" - Combo Colors - Lined Memo Book - Pack of 4

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer. Please save your favourite posts and share links

No comments: