Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, June 30, 2023

Learning Albanian For Your Holiday, Work, Fun, Curiosity: 10 handy words



I took a Lonely Planet guide with me to Albania. It has several languages and is small but quite thick and heavy. I considered cutting the spine in half. 

I did not want to spoil the book. It seems sacrilege to spoil a book. I did not want it to disintegrate. I might need to use it again. 

But it had not cost much. I had bought a cheaper second hand used copy. 

I then realized I could cut out the Albanian pages, which were first in the book, which had arranged the languages alphabetically.

I cut out the pages and stapled them together. I had too many for one staple. So I used two for two sections. i could have made a cover for the new mini book, in thicker paper to protect it, but I just put it in a see through zip lock bag.

The print is small, hard to read at night in a hotel bedroom, but handy in a restaurant and outdoors in daytime. The guide is something to read when waiting for other people, or for a table in a restaurant, or for your meal to arrive.

Many Albanian words are similar to English. The next challenge is how to pronounce each word, and how to pronounce the letters which have accents. The ling app is good because you start with one word or small groups of two or three words and learn the roounciation by hearing it straight away.

You see lots of English words and brand names.

Same Words

bar

hotel

spa


Similar words

1 agroturizem - agro-tourism

2 grupi - group

3 klient - client

4 ministria - ministry

5 objekt - object

6 recepsion / recepsionit - reception

7 republika - republic

8 restorant - restaurant

9 kafe - coffee (not eating place)

10 ora - time (like hour)


Useful Websites

https://play.ling-app.com/learn/unit/1/lesson/1

https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Albanian_phrasebook

Please share links to useful posts.

No comments: