Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, November 22, 2015

Mulled wine to warm winter walkers in warm pubs or at parties

Mulled Wine
In the chilly UK winter pubs in Hampstead often sell mulled wine to warm those who have walked across the heath and end up want to warm themselves by a log fire whilst drinking warm wine. At home for a Christmas party you can make mulled wine from a base of red wine. But watch out that you and your guests don't assume it's low alcohol and keep drinking it, if it's in a public place and arriving party-goers are able to add spirits which you have left lying nearby, or that visitors have brought to add to the pot. You need to ensure somebody is bar tender watching the mixing and serving of the punch.

I once started drinking a low alcohol punch. Somebody kindly offered to refill my empty plastic disposable cup, and I after I queried why the flavour had changed, I realised that if I drank the second re-mix, I would not be able to drive home and mor would the others in my car.


Mulled wine is basically red wine heated, in a punch bowl if you are making large quantities, with added herbs to float on top, fruit for flavour and health and soft drinks to lower the alcohol content, maybe a mixer, and spirits to increase the alcohol.

You can buy mulled wine sachets.
Looking at the picture I can see the mulled wine is made by Schwartz. As you can see from the picture it is hanging in the wine bottle section of the Morrisons supermarket in the branch in this photograph. 

If you want to make your own, you can add spices such as cinnamon and clove or nutmeg.

(See later post on Mulled wine in Waitrose.)
Picture by Angela Lansbury.
Travel writer and photographer.
See my other posts and pictures on Lulu.com, Amazon, LinkedIn, Facebook. Please like me, follow me and look at my books.
Author and speaker.

No comments: