Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

More on Oysters, crabs and prawns

 I'm allergic to shellfish so all my information is from family, friends and restaurants and websites.

Oysters differ from different areas.

So do crabs which are different in different areas of the world, such as Alaskan king crabs, Sri Lankan crab.

Prawns vary. Pacific Prawns which are much larger - than the little shrimps in the favourite first food of the restaurant meal of the Sixties, prawn cocktail.Why was I able to eat prawn cocktail, then violently sick after my first meal of Pacific crabs? Some say its something in the water, that the tiny creatures eaten by the Pacific fish leave a residue in what eats them.

American Oysters
American oysters come from the East or West coast (as well as the south, Texas).

European and French oysters
The European ones are another group.  The French ones are Belon named after the French river.

English oysters
From England the Colchester oysters are bigger with some say a better flavour.
Photo updates from London, England shortly. I have them on a thumb drive and am trying to find how to upload them into iPhoto and then the blog. More later today, I hope. Come back and follow my posts.
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.


No comments: