Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

What's New in Piccadilly: 'Believe It Or Not' Also 'Rainforest Restaurant' In London, by Piccadilly

Piccadilly
I first visited Ripley's believe it or not on a circular tour of the USA on a Greyhound bus in the Swinging Sixties when I stopped at San Francisco. Ripley was a souvenir collector who liked to save anything a little bit different.

Years later I can still remember the ghoulish shrunken skull and a bible the size of a pin. I am not even sure these are what I saw. I have a mental filing cabinet in which I add into empty drawers everything I see which either is or could be at Ripley's Believe It Or Not.

I must admit I have a penchant for the weird. I was thinking of adding to my blog a streamline, such as Angelic and Devilish sites and scenes. Or Angela's weird and wonderful travels.

Now, tourism is reversed. Americans and other tourists can come to London and see Ripley's Believe Or Not here. Everybody goes to Piccadilly and that's where you need sunglasses to see the sunny weather which may surprise you for five minutes in winter, all day in summer. On dull day's and nights Piccadilly is lit up at night like Times Square and you won't need sunglasses except to look at neon lights. I wear light sensitive trifocals. But if you are lucky enough to need glasses these would be just the thing. They symbolise you won't believe your eyes at Ripley's Believe It Or Not, London.

Believe it or not, these purple sunglasses, a souvenir from Ripley's Believe It or Not, don't do anything magic like the smart glasses, but they are actually practical, and have UV 400 protection CE marked on the front. If you are near Piccadilly in London, stop at Ripley's. At the very least make time to read their promotional pictures.



Would you rather see and read about fake skulls than real ones? Right opposite on the other side of Piccadilly is another surprise. Family fun and food. Rainforest Cafe. .Jungle theme, with birds and bits and bobs at every turn.

Peter Pan meets Toddler Tarzan meets Beatrix Potter meets Ripley's. It's what Hamlets toyshop should have for a kiddie cafe. Oddly enough, children seem more interested in the food. It's Mums like me more used to McDonalds which ceases to surprise who love Rainforest Cafe. Something to keep adults amused. Like a junior version of Trader Vics. More fun than Treasure Island hotel in Las Vegas.

I first saw a Rainforest Cafe in Singapore and loved it so much I liked to walk past even when I had no time to go in. So I was devastated one day when redevelopment closed off the building and turned the area into a building site.

Now for the good news: It's in London. A themed restaurant full of animated parrots and amusing jungle scenes. Now in London, central point, central park for themed cafes.
www.therainforestcafe.co.uk
facebook rainforestcafelondon for a cafe

You can't remember everything, so if you haven't been to either or both of these for a while, it's time to go back. There's either something new to see or it will enchant you yet again.
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author, speaker.

No comments: