Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Oysters in England, sizes 0-5

Jonathan Swift said, It was a bold man that first ate an oyster. But Carnegie said, the first man gets the oyster, the second man gets the shell.

You may ponder this is you contemplate starting to eat your oysters.

Now, November, is the month when oysters are in season. They grow in summer. You can't eat them May, June, July, August. Wait and watch for when there is a R in the month and you are allowed to eat them.

Oysters are graded in size from the largest, size zero, to the smallest, size five. Restaurants are likely to serve you sizes 3 and 4.

I was invited to an oyster tasting event at a bar in London, England, by my family. How interesting. But I didn't go because I am allergic to shellfish.

Names to look for:
Colchester oysters.
Rock oysters.

Souvenirs

I did ask if somebody could bring me back an oyster shell or two. I could use an oyster shell for a pendant, by making a hole for a ribbon.

Alternatively I could stick shells on a box. I'm all for recycling.

I'd also like any pearls which happen to be rolling around, like lost buttons, looking for a new home. Round pearls, or squashed shape pearls, I don't mind. If the pearls are free I'm not fussy.

I am not allergic to pearls and mother of pearl. However, that hopeful idea was scotched with the caustic comment, "Farmed oysters won't have pearls".

I have my friendly photographer out in London and later I hope to add some photos of oysters at an oyster bar.
Back to the oysters.

Apparently a Roman commended Colchester oysters by damning with faint praise. He said, 'They were the only good thing to come out of England.'

Oysters served in England could come from England, Ireland or France. Huitres is French for oysters.

If you are in the USA, great cities for oysters are San Francisco in California and Houston, Texas.
http://houston.eater.com/maps/12-restaurants-for-eating-raw-oysters-mapped

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.

No comments: