Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

How to Hide In A Photo - face and hands or smile when appropriate

You might not want to be in a photo when travelling. For security. Whatever.

In Public Places
You can hold your own phone or camera in front of your face. You can wear sunglasses, dark glasses or a brimmed hat. This may save you from being caught on camera.

However, it also draws attention. Masks and dark glasses are seen as anti-social. They make other people nervous.

Televised events
At televised events the camera could turn towards you at any time. If you attend a concert, or even stand at a station looking up at the notice board when trains are delayed or on strike.

Stations
I was photographed on a TV camera years ago, Kings Cross station in London, on my way to Edinburgh. No, I wasn't going to the Edinburgh festival. I was meeting my family, my husband and then small son. We were on our way to Scotland, having won a trip at the world travel market. My late mother was sitting at home watching and saw face pop up on TV. I had no idea I was being photographed.

Not only that, but I was on TV again, the following week. The TV showed the same clip again, when reporting on the start or end of the problem.

So what can you do, more discreetly?

Audience
If you are at a concert you may see cameras in the concert hall. You think they are looking at the stage. But at dull moments, in the Interval, they may scan the audience.

You can also appear on still shots. Please be kind to the performers and the photographer. How often a lovely shot of the audience is ruined by the screaming children, even somebody standing in the aisle with their back to the performer. Maybe they are walking off to the toilet. Who knows. It just looks like they are not interested.

Now wonder people say, 'Don't photograph me.' They are seen in such dreadful poses.

As a photographer, I can tell you it's very annoying when you want to show the audience watching keenly as your club or VIP speaker is on stage, or your family or the official photographer scans, and the people in the front row, or down the aisles, or hiding at the back, or now listening attentively to your carefully crafted and rehearsed party piece.

Not, they are chatting to friends, ignoring the speaker. Tweaking ears, rubbing noses, yawning showing fillings in their teeth. How to hide without causing offence? Simple. Look down at your shoes.

If you are in a meeting, and a speaker is on stage, do not look at your watch. Do not frown, glare or look bored. It is a courtesy to sit upright and look alert.

The Japanese expect pupils in school to sit up and not slouch. To look bored is disrespectful to the teacher. The same would apply to members of the audience listening to the boss or a VIP speaker.

So, you know that the photographers are keen to take a picture of you. They want you to look good.

Sometimes they have politely beckoned you to be in the picture. You think you should not be in the bride's family group at the hotel. You may be right.

Posing For Pictures and Hiding
On the other hand, they may want you to be in the picture. This happened to me three times.
I was walking around a building associated with Sun Yat Sen in China and a young Chinese man was photographing his pretty girlfriend. I subtly, I thought, took a picture of them. They then posed a little ahead in my path. Just as I approached them, I realised they were photographing so I ducked out of the way. They got just a bit of me in the picture.

The photographer seemed disappointed that he hadn't got the perfect picture he wanted.  I indicated sorry. He indicated never mind. This cat and mouse game continued at several more spots around the building.

Finally we got to the exit and I asked if they would kindly pose for me. They were delighted to do so. They then asked if I would pose on my own and with them. It then transpired that they had been trying to photograph me all along!

Concerts and Theatres
But you have a reason for not being in the picture. If it's in the interval and you are not expected to watch somebody on stage, only at the camera, you can look away and the only loss is yours because you are not in the photo. Better still look down at a newspaper.

Group Photos
Stand in the back row, behind the tallest person in the row. Look down.

Go to the buffet table and stand with your back to the group.

If you are in a group of people seated, standing and moving spoils the photos and draws attention to yourself at the event and in the photo. Instead consider this:
1 Shield your eyes with your hand.
2 Hold up the programme or agenda of the event as if you are concentrating on reading. This shows no disrespect to the event but effectively hides you from view.

If you want to be in a photo but not have it published until later, you could ask the photographer. They may be quite happy to oblige.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.

No comments: