Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, October 29, 2017

Chocolate In My Pocket for travel, Choctails on my Christmas list

Problem
What if you are in economy class and the airline doesn't give you a chocolate dessert?

Answers
Sometimes you can ask for chocolate as a snack after the meal.
You could bring a chocolate from home.

My husband was sitting on a Singapore Airlines plane, upstairs in Business Class, which he had to do to get enough airmails to maintain his frequent flyer status. I was down in Economy, benefitting from a free flight obtained with his Airmails. After the meal he came downstairs to see me. He surreptitiously handed me something wrapped in a white napkin. I unwrapped it. He had brought a chocolate from home!

I am quite happy with 'ordinary' chocolates. We had a friend in Singapore who liked chocolates as a gift, but she was not happy with ordinary chocolates. We were always desperately looking for a new chocolate shop to get something special for her.

I went for lunch with the Rothschilds, once. I was wondering what to take them. Since they had a shop on their estate, I presumed they had free access to all ordinary chocolates.

Now I know what to do for a gift for somebody like that. Pick a speciality chocolate. Note a list of chocolate suppliers so when it comes to Christmas or a birthday or special occasion you can find something special.

In Singapore chocolates are very expensive. If you go to a chocolate shop just before travelling, it's handy to have two or three packages of speciality chocolates to give when you get an unexpected invitation to dinner at a house or an expat club.

Some of the speciality chocolates contain cream so they will not let forever. Check the shelf life. One year I wanted to take chocolates and a white iced Christmas cake to Singapore for Xmas day, hoping to keep in in the freezer. Unfortunately, after I got home I looked at the label and found that the product said that it would expire before Dec 25th! We ate it earlier in London instead.

I discovered an email from a chocolate company I have not yet tried. I have added them to my list. I think I might have tried the chocolates and liked them at one of the chocolate shows in London. They run a chocolate club called Five O'Clock and you spend £15 a month and get unusual chocolates including ones just coming into production.

https://www.choctails.org.uk/chocolates/seasonal-specials/


Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: