Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Hotel Loyalty Schemes: A Smart American Saleswoman

Problems
What's the loyalty scheme?

Is it any use to me if I am only going to stay in the hotel once, or don't intend to stay longer than for lunch?

Travel Tip
Always ask about a hotel's loyalty scheme and join it before travelling. Once I found the loyalty card would be posted to me and would not not kick in until after I had left.

On another occasion, I was at a hotel for lunch at a conference. A member of my family who is a frequent flyer, said, "No point joining because we are never coming back here."

However, the receptionist looked so disconcerted, that I said to her, "Never mind. Tell me anyway, so I can inform my friends."

For a moment, I thought, that's a polite lie. Not many of my friends from back in London will be coming here. Then I realised that I would be meeting friends at the conference, and probably lunching with the members of the hosting club from that city, and speaking to many other day guests who might decide to return with families later.

The receptionist told me about the benefits of the loyalty scheme, and how soon they started. I was now an expert on the hotel, and had something to tell others as a conversation opener.

In another hotel, I found that by joining the loyalty scheme, which started immediately, we had a reduction in the hotel shop. Best of all, we received an upgrade to the club lounge floor. The bedrooms were better, good views and more toiletries. The club lounge offered a free self-service breakfast, which meant a quick getaway instead of witing to be served in the busy downstairs restaurant. We also got free pre-dinner drinks and canapes, and free help from the club floor's receptionist, without the need to go down to busy reception.

You can join usually join the loyalty scheme before making any bookings. The loyalty scheme might offers a reduction on the hotel restaurant meals. Sometimes I find I am stuck in an isolated hotel for a day's conference. I don't want to leave because it's better to stay with the group and network.

If you are looking at items in a hotel shop, listen out for other customers being offered discounts. Ask if there are any discounts. The best people for telling you immediately are Americans, who like to make a sale.

American President Calvin Coolidge was nicknamed silent Cal, but he had one one-liner which is often quoted and abbreviated by the mis-quote, The business of America is business. (He actually said: The chief business of America is business. I have grown to like the shorter version, although the longer version is clearer.)
The Americas: "The business of America is business."

I remember standing looking at postcards in the lobby of an American hotel. A man came in to enquire about the price of a hotel room. He obviously wanted something cheaper. "Got any discounts?" he asked.

The smart sales lady behind the counter beamed, sure she was about to clinch a sale. "Yes! Are you a member of the AAA?" (American Automobile Association. In the UK we have the AA, Automobile Association.)

"No," he replied, glumly.

"Retired person?"

"No. Do I look like it!"

She started running through what sounded like a list she had been given of people who the management considered were entitled to discounts.

"A member of the armed forces?"

"No."

"Member of a local business association?"

"I'm not from around here."

"What business are you in?"

"Secret business."

I thought: She has reached the end of the road. She has got to the end of the list. She won't get a sale.

I was wrong. Maybe she had discretion.

Equally likely, she would give a little to make her commission on the sale.
More likely she just decided she could tick a random box, or 'other' and give him the discount, which nobody above would query. They would be happy with the extra sale.

So she sighed and conceded, "All right, I"ll give you the secret business discount."

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Please bookmark and share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: