Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, February 17, 2017

The Queue in Britain, The Line in America and the worldwide queue ...


Problems
How to queue? What to say to q-jumpers? How to jump queues in emergencies?

Answers
UK - queuing is the norm.
You will find lines ordered by barriers in airports and post offices.
Signs should make it clear which queue to join.
Ask who is last, and stand behind them.

Story
In Perth, Australia, I queued at hotel reception for about ten minutes in a four or five star hotel. Then I was told I was in the wrong queue. I looked at the other queue and saw another ten minute wait. My face must have said it all. The receptionist said, "Follow me". She told me to stand to the right of the head of the queue. She went behind the desk and spoke to the person serving. The person serving finished dealing with the customer and then beckoned me forward.

Tip
If in doubt, ask the person at the back of the queue what they are waiting for. If they are not sure, ask the person at the head of the queue. If all you want to ask is, "Where are the lifts?" stand to the right of the head of the queue and shout loud enough to be heard by the person behind the desk and the first few in the queue. You might get the answer from the person behind the desk. You might get an answer from somebody in the queue without having to join the queue and without annoying people at the front.

Article in the BBC News about queuing :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38990535

Author
Angela Lansbury, author.





No comments: