Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Malaysia's national drink, teh tarik


Problem
The drinks machine in an office building has several types of tea and coffee including t e h tarik. I inserted spaces to stop the automatic spell checker correcting the word into the.

Answer
Malaysian - English
t e h - tea

Stories
My Singaporean friends explained that it is milk tea, usually a mix of tea and milk poured from separate jugs held to the left and right, pouring into the customer's empty cup from a height.

I had seen this done for me at an Indian restaurant in little India in Singapore. Dramatic and amusing.

One of my Singaporean friends said: "I don't know how you can do that from a machine."

Tips
Don't try this at home unless you are sure not to cry over spilled milk.

Wikipedia explains:
Teh tarik (literally "pulled tea") is a hot milk tea beverage which can be commonly found in restaurants, outdoor stalls and kopi tiams within the Southeast Asian countries of Malaysia and Singapore. Its name is derived from the pouring process of "pulling" the drink during preparation. It is made from black tea, condensed milk or evaporated milk. Malaysia has considered the drink as the country national drink.

I took a photo of pouring the tarik at an Indian restaurant in Little India but I can't find it, so I have loaded up a stock image from a website which gives you 'free' images as well as ones you have to pay for.
Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: