Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Italian words used and misused in English



Problem
How to learn Italian fast from words you already know?
How to avoid ordering the wrong thing in an Italian restaurant?

Answers
Most English speaking people already know the Italian words al fresco, piano and latte. Here are some longer lists.

Italian words you already use:

Italian words you might misuse
Al fresco - in English we use this phrase to mean outdoors.
Latte - in English we say latte short for a long coffee with lots of milk. In Italian if you ask for Latte you get a glass of milk.

Stories
My Misunderstanding In Milan
In Milan we ordered coffees in the outdoor pedestrian street near the cathedral, and got what we thought was the wrong orders. The same thing happened in the coffee bars in and near the La Scala opera house. Looking back, I wonder whether we had used the wrong terms, or whether we misunderstood when the waiter queried our order and we nodded.

My Misunderstanding In London
When I went to a show of Italian food and drink I was offered delicious sugared almonds. I asked what they were called in Italian. The seller told me they were called Confetti. I thought that she had misunderstood or made a mistake. Even when we looked at the translations on our phones I was puzzled and sceptical. Now I am convinced that I know the truth, having read sites explaining coming misunderstandings.

ALPHABETICAL LIST English-Italian
milk - latte

ALPHABETICAL LIST Italian-English
confetti - sugared almonds
latte - milk

Conclusion
That's great. With no effort I can ask for a glass of milk and sugared almonds. Latte and confetti.

Tips
An easy to read website with each idea illustrated by a visual:
http://www.thelocal.it/galleries/culture/10-italian-words-used-differently-in-english/9
http://www.wikihow.com/Say-Thank-You-in-Italian

Author
Angela Lansbury, teacher and tutor (workshops, home tutor and Skype, teaching English, languages, public speaking.
See other posts on Italian language and places in Italy including Umbria and an Italian restaurant in Singapore on this book on blogger.com, also other posts on language in blogger.com, and posts and profiles on Facebook, LinkedIn, YoutTube, Twitter, Instagram. See my books on Amazon.com and Lulu.com I also do illustrations and write comic poems. If you meet me and buy a book from me, I will sign it and on request write a motivational message or rhyming couplet, perhaps incorporating your name. Please like, follow and share my posts.

Grazie mille.

No comments: