Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, February 4, 2017

Valentine's Day and Mormons in America, Malaysia and Singapore


Problem
Why is an American man on a train station in Singapore chatting to me?

Answer
I soon found out. Or thought I did. Read on and form your own conclusion.

Story
"Where are you from?" he asks.

"England. Where are you from?" I reply.

"Utah."

"Ah - Mormons. I've been there. Twice, or three times."

"You like it?"

Yes. I first visited America on a Greyhound trip around the USA when I was a student. Then I went back on a press trip. The best organised trip I've ever been on. The PR lady had a network and fixed up every hotel, restaurant, ski slope, museum. When I sent her my newspaper article, she forwarded it to every person who'd helped with the trip, thanking them on my behalf. I'd never have had time to contact 30 people and get all the right names. What are you doing here?"

"Visiting our church in Malaysia."

"Are Mormons allowed in Malaysia?"

"Yes. We have several churches, in buildings and in shophouses."

"The buildings pre-war, from the days of the British?"

"No, some are recent ones."

"So Mormons are allowed?"

"Yes, so long as we don't approach any Muslims. But we can approach Christians."

Now I know another reason why the Muslim ladies wear head coverings. Religious symbols are a keep off sign to missionaries.

"Did you have to sign a paper?"

"No, the church told us that. They did everything for us. We are only allowed 90 days there, then we have to come over to Singapore again."

I smile, "A similar rule applies in Singapore, regarding tourist visas. You have to cross over to Singapore and come back. And similarly, you can't knock at the doors of houses, not selling, collecting money for charity, or promoting a religion. At Hallowe'en pupils at the American school were told not to knock at the doors of flats unless they knew the name and address of a parent and the unit was displaying the school poster sign, Trick or treat welcome. I believe, one reason for the ban is that the senior son performs funeral rites for his parents, so if he converted, nobody could perform funeral rites for them."

He and his wife nod.

We take the escalator down and get on the same train.

I ask, "Do you celebrate Valentine's Day?"

"Oh, yes," his wife enthuses. "Because Jesus loves us very much and we want to spread the love."

The train pulls into their station. Off they go, back to Malaysia, to spread the love. But not to Muslims.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormons

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

Please follow, like and share my posts.

No comments: