Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, February 5, 2017

Chinese Breakfast - In Flight or On Land - what is it and will I like it?


Problem
What is Chinese breakfast and will I like it?

Answers
I don't know about Chinatown in Manchester, but the frequent flyer lounges for Singapore Airlines will serve rice porridge.

In Singapore the local Singapore fast food speciality is kaya toast (coconut jam on toast - delicious and very fattening).

In a Malaysian five star hotel with a mixture of tourists from around the world all the food was Halal as its a Malaysian country so to satisfy everybody they had chicken bacon (imitation bacon made from halal chicken).

Story
As a student I went on a trip to Japan which involved a home stay in each town. This was arranged through a chamber of commerce to promote Japanese culture and help shopkeepers learn English. One Japanese family kindly made me an English breakfast of scrambled eggs. They all sat waiting expectantly for me to start first, and demonstrate how to eat scrambled egg correctly, with the cutlery they had provided, which was, of course, chopsticks.

I have faced many challenges in life. When I was still 21 years old, this was the most unexpected.

Flying on Singapore Airlines between the UK and Europe or Singapore, Malaysia, New Zealand and Australia, in one direction on the long haul overnight flight you are likely to be offered breakfast. You usually have a choice of Western style or Oriental style breakfast. It varies, and is not necessarily what you would have at home.

For example, the English breakfast might include an omelette and potatoes. That's what I ate in January, between London and Singapore. I would never have potatoes for breakfast in England. But I do like something substantial on an airline. The airline has to vary the breakfast every month so the frequent fliers, and presumably the crew, don't get tired. First class gets more choice.

The last oriental breakfast I have heard about was on Singapore Airlines in January, ordered by a member of my family. (I admit I was astonished, but I suppose every otherwise normal family has one oddity with weird eating habits.) He says it was noodles and pork.

I suppose you need a starch in breakfast, noodles, rice or breakfast cereal.

On an airline, you can vary your breakfast choice by selecting a special meal, such as kosher or vegetarian. You could also ask for a sandwich or snack or piece of fruit or piece o chocolate before breakfast and save it for breakfast.

Tips
Just google the menu at the hotel where you are staying or the restaurants.

No comments: