Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Learning languages: repetition is not wasted time


I am learning Italian, German and Romanian using the website Duolingo which offers free courses.

Problems
Sometimes I use the website ap on my mobile phone while traveling on the train and then when I reach the destination station I have to leave the unfinished lesson half way through.

When I return to the lesson later in the day one of two things happens. Either

Answers
1 Sometimes I have to start all over again.
2 Mostly I can continue where I left off.

Stories
At first when I found I had to start the lesson from the beginning, it felt like a waste of time.

However:
1) I proceed quicker than the first time I did the whole exercise, and get more answers right immediately.


2 When I simply continue with the second half, I often forget the words I learned earlier and get the second half of the lesson wrong.

Tips
Just consider that you are adding to the repetitions needed to cement the knowledge.

Author, Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker and language teacher.

No comments: