Problem
How to learn and remember Malay words?
Answer
In Singapore the words for buildings such as community centres or community clubs are translated into Malay. Take a photo and notice the similarities and differences in spelling.
Story
I walked past a club building in Singapore and saw the word but thought it would be a good idea to record the word. Ao I took a photo. I wrote up the word on my blog using my phone.
However, a day later, checking on my laptop back in my office, I found the spell checker had changed the word.
I was horrified. I had told other people the wrong word and looked inefficient.
I corrected the word by adding spaces. I decided to learn and profit from the mistake. I can use the change to kebab as a memory aid. Just change the middle letter. The result is a five letter word instead of the English four letter word. We eat kebab in the k e l a b .
In theory you can correct spelling by having the patience to wait and re-read your draft text. Then check the blog in view. This takes time. It is also fiddly when you are in a hurry and loading up on a mobile phone.
You have to keep re-reading. I typed a five and the spell checker turned the word into alive.
Tips
When learning new words make sure you visualise and say the words to yourself three times.
What is the Malay for club? K e l a b.
What is club in Malay? K e l a b.
What does the word k e l a b mean? CLUB.
WHAT DOES THE MALAY FOR CLUB LOOK LIKE? KEBAB.
What is the Malay for club? K e l a b
What is club in Malay? K e l a b.
What does the word k e l a b mean? CLUB.
What is the Malay for club? K e l a b
What is club in Malay? K e l a b.
What does the word k e l a b mean? CLUB.
The Malaysia word for club is k e l a b. Like club but starting with K then e than lab. (Spell checker wants to turn it into kebab.) Malaysian language is phonetic - written the way it sounds.
Author
Angela Lansbury, English teacher, language teacher, author and speaker.
Please read my posts, follow and share.
Travel worldwide: UK; hotels; restaurants; museums; vineyards; factory tours; learning languages.
Search This Blog
Popular Posts
-
How many places you have visited have their names given to famous people? I remember as a schoolchild learning that Florence Nightingale wa...
-
Timberlab in the Netherlands makes seats, lights and fences. They use sustainable wood. The benches are entirely wood, no metal nails, nor ...
-
Singapore flag See Singapore by state-of-the-art MRT, on driverless trains. Maps of Downtown Line At Cashew MRT station, one stop ...
-
I was sitting at the kitchen table thinking: how would you create an emergency sewing needle? I had in front of me on the table a sewing ki...
-
Selfie with the Queen at a shop selling all things British at the airport. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright. Problem Where should...
-
My first thoughts were of the author Israel Zangwill. Then of many American stars called Jordan. I did a little research with the help of ...
-
I have visited fifty countries. My family have had homes in the UK, the USA, Spain, and Singapore. We have had au pair girls living with u...
-
Korean flag. What connection do you and I have with Asia? Many of my clothes are made in China. Today I have eaten sushi from Japan and soy ...
-
The Joys of Researching Holidays And Business Trips Using AI I am finding Ask Gemini a miracle, a blessing, a time saver, for researching...
-
Benjamin Disraeli, Queen Victoria's favourite MP, and Prime Minister, said: 'When I want to read a book, I write one.' I am the...
Labels
Friday, February 17, 2017
Malaysia word for club
Labels:
club,
kebab,
Malay language,
memory aid,
photo,
Singapore,
spell checker
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment