Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, February 17, 2017

Malaysia word for club

Problem
How to learn and remember Malay words?

Answer
In Singapore the words for buildings such as community centres or community clubs are translated into Malay. Take a photo and notice the similarities and differences in spelling.

Story
I walked past a club building in Singapore and saw the word but thought it would be a good idea to record the word. Ao I took a photo. I wrote up the word on my blog using my phone.

However, a day later, checking on my laptop back in my office, I found the spell checker had changed the word.

I was horrified. I had told other people the wrong word and looked inefficient.

I corrected the word by adding spaces. I decided to learn and profit from the mistake. I can use the change to kebab as a memory aid. Just change the middle letter. The result is a five letter word instead of the English four letter word. We eat kebab in the k e l a b .

In theory you can correct spelling by having the patience to wait and re-read your draft text. Then check the blog in view. This takes time. It is also fiddly when you are in a hurry and loading up on a mobile phone.

You have to keep re-reading. I typed a five and the spell checker turned the word into alive.

Tips
When learning new words make sure you visualise and say the words to yourself three times.

What is the Malay for club? K e l a b.

What is club in Malay? K e l a b.

What does the word k e l a b mean? CLUB.

WHAT DOES THE MALAY FOR CLUB LOOK LIKE? KEBAB.


What is the Malay for club? K e l a b

What is club in Malay? K e l a b.

What does the word k e l a b mean? CLUB.


What is the Malay for club? K e l a b

What is club in Malay? K e l a b.

What does the word k e l a b mean? CLUB.

The Malaysia word for club is k e l a b. Like club but starting with K then e than lab. (Spell checker wants to turn it into kebab.) Malaysian language is phonetic - written the way it sounds.

Author
Angela Lansbury, English teacher, language teacher, author and speaker.
Please read my posts, follow and share.

No comments: