Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, May 13, 2019

Who's Accident-prone? Who Lost Their Passport - On A Plane!

What was the worst travel loss ever? The couple who were denied entry to Greece after leaving their passports on the plane. Thank God it wasn't me. It nearly was. I once lost my passport at security in the USA. At the last minute I was told to remove the bag around my neck with my passport. It went into another box.

I ran off to catch the plane without it. On the plane I felt round my neck and my bag wasn't there. I ran to the door. A member of staff stepped forward, saying, "You can't get off." 

I rushed out gasping, "You have to let me off or I can't get off in London. My passport's in Security!" When I ran back to Security, they had gone. My passport had been taken to the security office two floors up, the other end of the building. 

I ran. I arrived gasping. 

I said, "Excuse me, ..."

The assistant frowned, "You'll have to wait - I'm dealing with this person!"

I shouted, "You are holding up 300 people on a plane. They can't take off with my luggage without me and you've got my passport. Angela ..."

He looked, "Is this it? Do you have any identity?"

I sobbed, "You've got my identity. Look at the picture. It's me!"  

I filled in three forms, grabbed my passport, and ran back. 

I flopped into my seat, pink, heart thumping as if I was about to have a heart attack. I was hoping my husband would sympathize, pat my hand and console me. But everybody thinks of themselves. 

My husband snapped, "Don't you ever do that to me again!"  

Yes, we've all lost things. Even the most careful person. I bet you have, too. Once, or twice.

Here's a quick way to lose your hat. Travel in an open- 
sided rickshaw with a man, donkey or motorcycle at high speed.

We lost a man's hat, my husband's, from a motorcycle rickshaw in Cambodia.

My hat, also, nearly went for a roll into oncoming traffic. Fortunately, I was able to grab the brim. It was half-secured by being tied on with ribbons. I had already learned to sew ribbons onto hats. I carry a spare ribbon, plus a needle and cotton in my packing.

DIY Repairs
If you have open pockets on your clothes, add some zips and press studs to stop items falling out.

I have heard a friend in Singapore, J, say, "My family forbid me from travelling with my passport to daytime meetings because I am so prone to losing things."

He needs deeper pockets with secure closure.

My system: Look behind every time you leave a room or elevator or train or plane.


Before you ditch the old luggage, check the inside and outside pockets.

Plain Checks
Check the plane pockets and overhead compartments. Yes, we have left behind boxes of chocolates bought for our hosts at the destination. One couple left their passports behind in the plane seat pockets, were denied entry at the destination and missed their entire trip.

Try to get on board early so your duty free goods are above your seat and not in a compartment three seats away. If the latter is the case, make yourself a list of things to take off the plane, such as the coat hung up by the staff. If you are small, ask somebody else to check the overhead compartment before the line starts moving off the plane. Ask:  "Is anything else left up there?"

Small or Large Bags?
I had a lovely Travelon anti theft bag small shoulder cross body bag. Unfortunately the thieves took the whole bag. In Singapore. Pushed me from one side. Another person grabbed my bag from the other side.
Singapore flag. Safe country? How safe?

Singapore and Safety
Yes, Singapore is relatively safe. But, as the advertisements say, Low crime does not mean no crime.

Now I travel with a huge bag.

Waterproofing bags
When I had multiple injuries and an arm in a sling I had to swap to a light fabric bag. But my fabric bag is not waterproof. Papers, books and manuals have to be protected by something waterproof.

Spare Shoes
What about shoes? High heels make your feet hurt but are painful to walk home in?
take a foldable bag which disappears into its own pocket. Take spare small foldable shoes for walking home or to make a change if it rains.

What do you do with your heels when you have switched to the flats? Stick everything into a wheel-on bag.

Wheelie Bags
Even a wheel-on bag is not a hundred per cent safe. I lost a bag at the world travel market in London. Poele kept saying to me, :Leave it here" When I got back somebody had moved it way , or moved it into the store room or behind a desk and I spent ages anxiously looking.

On one occasion I lost the whole bag. After that the precious items stayed in my clothes pockets. All vital business cards.

Heavy brochures were thrown out and I kept only the business cards and photographed the brochure pages or asked for them to be posted to me or sent by email. That way my wheelie bag was light to carry around with me. And not to heavy to go on the plane home.

To end on a lighter note, this sounds like the children's song, dating back to German in the 1700s, There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, as sung by Liza and Henry. You come round to the large container at the end. With the hole.

Lyrics[edit]

{ \key g \major \time 3/4 \partial 4 a'8 \noBeam a' | b'4 d' d' | e'8 g'4. d'4 | e' g' d' | e' g' a'8 \noBeam a' | b'4 d' d' | e'8 g'4. d'4 | e' g' fis' | g'2 | \bar "|." } \addlyrics { There's a hole in my buc -- ket, dear Li -- za, dear Li -- za, There's a hole in my buc -- ket, dear Li -- za, a hole. }

If you go back to Wikipedia and click on the sound symbol you can hear the tune of There's a hole in my bucket.

Useful And Interesting Websites
https://www.clothingarts.com/collections/womens_travel_clothing?utm_campaig
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=pick+pocket+proof+clothes
https://vagrantsoftheworld.com/best-anti-theft-travel-gear/
https://www.lazada.sg/pacsafe/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There%27s_a_Hole_in_My_Bucket
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-couple-greece-holiday-lost-passports-plane-stansted-kos-first-choice-tui-a8428841.html

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: