Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Nalan Vegetarian Restaurant - for Masala Dosai, and Biriani and Mango Lassi

I had asked my Indian friend for a restaurant which served Masala Dosai. the restaurant chosen was vegetarian. I had not realised that masala disai is a south Indian specility and usually to be found in vegetarian restaurants. Ok, fine by me, but not by my spouse notr the spouse of the orgnaizing host.

Nalan, hower is a find. It feels spacious, not so crowded as all those restaurants in Little India, some of which feel like an Indian reailway station, cramped, crowded and rushed.  Sometimes they overwhelm you with turbans and sarees so you feel like an outsider if you are Asian Chinese or European or mixed race expat and not in your most ethnic clothes.

The atmosphere of Nalan is relaxed and just right.

Nalan restaurant in Singapore is easy to reach, at central City Hall MRT station. However, it is hard to find. Cross the road to the large semicircular theatre complex with the empy plaza in front.  Take the right hand entrance and go downstairs. You find jumping small foundtains illuminated in green lights. At the back of the Nalan restaurant is a request to go to the front. They don't explain that you go clockwise, past another restaurant alongside, to get to their front entrance.

Menu
Dosais are hug pancakes. Freshly cooked, they are often too crispy. Add the condiments and they turn into a thin pancake. Confusingly, local Singaoreans describe this difference as we, whilst I from the UK would call it moist.

The menu choices include thalis and a biriani thali if you can't make up your mind. The biriani thali which I had includes rice, potato and a puffed up hollow semi-crispy bread, a bit like a squashed balloon. It included one tiny portion of gulub jaman, my favourite dessert.

Avoid The Ginger Tea
It is just what I did not want, tea with added ginger, tasting of tea, no ginger. I though it would be lemon tea.

I complained, not once, but about five times. The manager conceded to add some ginger. I went to see them make it. The maker was adding something thugh a sieve. It made no difference to the taste.

I wanted tea made with water and ginger, not tea with added ginder. If I ordered lemon I would not want tea with the addiiton of grains of lemon flavour. I would want a piece of fresh lemon floating in tea.

The manager would not replace it or take off the price from the bill.

So, in my opinion, go for the food, and have drinks somewhere else.

Author
Angela Lansbury

No comments: