Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, May 11, 2019

How The Haze And Rain Affects Travellers and Ex-pats



In May 2019 I breathe in smoke as if there's a bonfire. Yet the sky is clear enough for me to see the distant hills. Is there a haze?

My friends said they were walking in the Botanical gardens in Singapore, which is free. But in the great haze a few years back we were warned not to go outdoors I recall the schools being shut down. Even if the children were safe indoors, the janitors and gate staff would be exposed to the haze. My friend William in Singapore says to British expats, "Why don't you sell your property in the UK and transfer to retirement or investment for retirement in Singapore?"

The cheaper places to buy are Malaysia and Thailand and Indonesia and remote Australia. Every time I think about it, I see articles in international magazines and newspapers such as Time magazine or even local newspapers of Asia, in the polluted cities of India, or China, or Singapore.

I don't want the stress on my body and my wallet of constant flights back to the UK, or off to Australia. Then I wake to smell smoke and think, I've got to get out of here.

As for the rain, over here in Singapore it's just a temporary problem. You just need an umbrella. And set off early to every meeting, in case you get delayed by rain. Mostly you won't. When the rain comes, it cools down the air, so that is an advantage.

Umbrellas are cheap. Just look in the nearest chain such as 7-11, Guardian or Watsons. I keep an eye out for a colour which takes my fancy or matches my outfits.

A gentleman could match a brolly to his tie. They are so cheap. Buy two in case you lose one.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: