Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, May 22, 2019

1989 Classic from Swee Heng - Singapore's best pastry and buns?



I went to Frontier Toastmasters in Frontier Community Club, which contains the public library opposite the Boon Lay Bus Exchange, by the MRT station.

At the meeting break time I looked at the buns and thought, what's this, all pastry, refined flour and sugar and no protein? I selected what looked like a bun with some kind of filling on top.

Recommended - excellent
I can only describe it as a breakfast bun. It seemed to have a mixture of a slice or two of boiled egg hidden inside cream or mayonnaise with folded bits of ham, but so no salty I was not sure if it was vegetarian with the look of ham. I took another bite and another.

Choc - ok
I went back for a second, but they were all gone. I had probably had my share anyway. I tried a sponge cake with tiny spots of chocolate. Acceptable. What was left? Some green sponge cake, I presumed pandan.
Green pandan cake. Wiki.


I needed instant energy, sugar. I was about to give a ten minute presentation on vocal variety and English language. Everybody had finished. I felt I could take another piece from the leftovers. I settled for a piece of yellow dough.

Dough - oh yes!
Oh - it was delicious! More-ish. Wonderful. Who was the supplier? The see-through plastic bag had the words Swee Heng 1989 Classic.

Where? Everywhere!
I looked at the website and found they are all over Singapore including Bukit Panjang and other big shopping hubs next to the MRT stations and bus exchanges.

You are not allowed to eat nor drink on the MRT (mass rapid transit train service), but the food is great to eat before travelling or when you get off or as I did at a meeting break.

On their website I saw similar products. But they also sell seasonal foods.

Elsewhere I spotted the word halal and if you see halal it confirms what I suspected, that what looked like ham was not ham, but 'chicken ham'.

In case you were wondering, halal and kosher food ban pork or pork products such a park fat (lard). Kosher follows even more of the rules in the Bible (Levicitcus being the word for laws) and also do not have milk and meat in the same food or meal and also ban shellfish.

Fish Spice
As I am allergic to crustaceans, mollusks, although I am OK with normal fish which swim with fins such as salmon and trout. I am wary of fish paste. I have to watch out for shellfish. One of the buns I tried that evening was a very spicy shellfish.

Fortunately, I had pulled a tiny piece off each bun using my fingertips to pinch a corner though the bag, before I tried to eat the whole of it. So I was able to leave the fish bun for somebody else, without having touched it with either my teeth or fingertips.

If you are buying or eating and have an allergy to shellfish or spicy food, enquire when buying or before eating.


Yes, I approve of Swee Heng. First choice, the plain sweet bun, second choice the bun with cheese.

Would you believe, I get cream cheese out of the fridge and find the lid had an offer of a free bun from Bee Heng, a garlic bun.

Useful Websites
https://www.sweeheng.com.sg/

Travel
For deals flying into or out of Singapore
singaporeair.com
https://holidays.singaporeair.com/en-uk/

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.. 

No comments: