Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, September 25, 2017

French Abbreviations You Can Recognize and Use On Letters and Envelopes

Problem
I was looking at an envelope sent to me by the PR department of a French museum I had visited on a travel press trip. The envelope address me as Mme. I assumed that was Madame. But if Mme was Madame, what was the abbreviation for Mademoiselle?

I soon found the answer, although I was diverted into reading an online article about the difficulties translators have with abbreviations.

English - French
Mr - M
Miss - Mlle
Mrs - Mme

French - English
M - Mr
Mlle (Mademoiselle) - Miss
Mme  (Madame) - Mrs

Now you know.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. I have many more posts on French and other languages and places to see in France and other countries. Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: