Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, September 25, 2017

Passenger Averts Disaster: What You Should Do In Emergencies


In September 2017 the BBC news reported that a passenger in the Austrian Alps averted imminent danger, a bus headed for a cliff edge when the driver lost consciousness. The quick thinking and quick acting passenger, luckily seated nearby, was able to grab and apply the brake.
What could, or should, you do in an emergency?

I recall reading about a rail crash in America. One of the people who escaped with all their family said he had read the instructions on boarding and knew to locate the emergency escape window.

Welsh train sign I took to read and learn Welsh. Photo by Angela Lansbury.

When getting into any vehicle note where the emergency windows are. Point them out to your family or fellow passengers. You will see multiple language notices in trains. Sometimes the directions are on the other side of the vehicle, too far away to read, and you would not be able to read them if the lights went out. I take a photo of the emergency directions on my phone and note the exits.

I try to sit near an exit. I remind myself how the exit operates so I can react quickly.

If you are able-bodied and a passenger, chat to the driver and find out how to stop the vehicle in an emergency and operate the warning lights and, if necessary, escape from a window.

The canny traveler knows how to avoid dangerous situations as well as how to get out of danger.
With children you could make a spoken or written game of I-spy including, where's the emergency exit?

Here's a checklist for you?
1 Do I know how to contact emergency in this building or vehicle?
2 Do I know the escape route?

3 If it's free seating, am I sitting near the exit?
4 Do I know the best place of shelter from attackers or falling objects?

5 Are my valuables on me so I have a credit card and spectacles and keys in my pocket if I have to run or wake up in an ambulance or hospital?
6 Do I and all my family and colleagues know how to swim?

7 Does everybody where I live or work have first aid training?
8 If not, how do I organise training in first aid.

9 Do I know how to drive or operate the car or vehicle in which I am travelling?
10 Remember the American saying, Hope for the best but plan for the worst.

PS In your pocket carry a prayer of gratitude or the words of your favourite song.
Have something to say in the worst case scenario or a long wait such as:

Help is on its way.
I am glad we are together.
I am looking after you.
I love you and I care about you.

I was looking for emergency exit pictures and came across this in my photo collection.

When I was in Singapore near a swimming pool, with coconuts on the ground, and workmen up a ladder pulling down the coconuts for safety reasons, I chatted to the men, got a free coconut, and learned about coconuts. 

Back in London, far away from coconut trees, this advertisement provides some light hearted relief. to end on a bright note, every day there are dangers, but every day there are thousands of near misses and lucky escapes. Look after yourself!

Author
Angela Lansbury,
Travel writer and photographer.
Author of How To Get Out Of The Mess You're In and 20 other books.

See my other posts on health and safety for travelers, great destinations, and learning languages.

Story on BBC New about the cliff side disaster averted in the Alps.
 

No comments: