Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, September 2, 2017

Armchair Travelling with Google Maps and Street View

Problem
I want to find out what's on display at a museum, or what you can see at a vineyard. Is the place traditional or modern, large or small?

Answer
It's amazing how much you can see online in advance of  your travel, or armchair travel with places when it's out of season and they are closed and you are planning a trip. Or you saw the sign and wanted to visit but didn't have time.

You can look at the vineyard where your bottle of wine comes from. Check the farm where the food from your supermarket comes from. See if the chocolate manufacturer will send a Christmas hamper or a gift for a celebration.

I've looked at vineyards in France and seen how they have a slope in the sun or shade, whether they are bang in the centre of the village or town, or down a country lane.

I've tracked down the Buckwud maple syrup which I put on my breakfast porridge. I have found their Canadian premises and seen what they offer on line. (See one of my previous posts.)

I have checked opening times and prices. I have checked on Tripadvisor and found that the only complaints about a restaurant are that they don't take large groups, or are not dog friendly, which doesn't bother me if I am travelling solo without a dog.

I can do a virtual tour of the inside of many museums in America. I can find the name of that hotel where I stayed in Cambodia (Lemongrass and Ginger - see an earlier post). Or do a tour of the Cromwell Museum in England (see previous post) which I visited some time ago and see if it is just the same, and as I remember it.

I can re-read my previous posts and find out the name of the man whose statue is on Euston station.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer. Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: