Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, September 15, 2017

Saxony in Germany: containing Dresden and Leipzig


Problem
What or where is Sachsen in Germany? I'd never heard of it. I had a CD about it I'd never looked at, and when I did I was none the wiser, because they missed out what was obvious to them but a mystery to me in far off London, England (or anywhere else I might happen to be).

Answer
However, when I asked my old friend, Wikipedia, I found a knew Sachsen, called Saxony, very well.
The Free State of Saxony[4] (Germander Freistaat Sachsen [ˈfʁaɪ̯ʃtaːt ˈzaksn̩] is a landlocked federal state of Germany, bordering the federal states of BrandenburgSaxony AnhaltThuringia, and Bavaria, as well as the countries of Poland (Lower Silesian and Lubusz Voivodeships) and the Czech Republic (Karlovy VaryLiberec and Ústí nad Labem Regions). Its capital is Dresden, and its largest city is Leipzig.
That explains why I know it. I had driven from England to Prague in the Czech Republic via Dresden and Leipzig, and seen both the German cities on the way back. They were both on my must see list.

Dresden is well known because the allies bombed it in WWII, a controversial subject. Leipzig is famous for its associations with music.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. (More text and pictures shortly.)

No comments: