Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, September 25, 2017

B & K, Salt beef sandwich, chopped liver and 3 types of cheesecake



















A loaf of bread from B & K. You can also buy rye bread, my favourite. Photo by Angela Lansbury.

A salt beef sandwich with rye bread! Photo by Angela Lansbury. All photos copyright.

Problem
What to eat? What to eat first? See those black bits of rye in the bread. Don't you want to crunch the rye.

All day they are open for take away - who is they? B & K salt beef bar.

My son has a carrier bag from B&K. He told me, "One of the staff said he was getting married."

I replied, "Tell them, 'Congratulations!' "

I said to the sandwich. "You will never be short of good food."

My son had gone off to the shoe repairers, he claimed, but came back bearing packages of food. I started checking:
a loaf of bread,
sandwiches,
chopped liver and
cheesecakes!

"What did that cost?"

"Thirty-seven pounds!"

I gasped. "You spent thirty-seven pounds - on take away food!"

"Mum, when I buy food from them, it lasts three days."

"I'm not sure it will, if I'm sharing it."

I looked longingly at the hot salt beef but decided it was more sensible to start with chopped liver. I do like chopped liver. I always think it must be doing me good as well as being cloying and heavy, like pâté, but better than most pâté.
Chopped liver from B and K. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

What can I say? It's good. It may not strike you as superlative as other people say, but like the 'best pizza in America' at our local Pizza shop in Rockville, Maryland, we could not see what was so special. Yet whenever we ordered from anywhere else, we tutted, "It's not half as good as that little place around the corner from us at home!'

Next we were on to the salt beef sandwiches. Very filling. very satisfying. Big. Tasty.

Cheesecake
Finally, pièce de resistance, or in my case very little resistance, cheesecake. I was offered a choice of three:
1 Plain cheesecake. (Which you can see in the centre.)
2 Sticky toffee cheesecake. Or was it butterscotch? Same difference. Sugar. (On the right)
3 Chocolate cheesecake. (Left.)

Three flavours of cheesecake from B & K. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

I wanted to try all three. So I cut a tiny sliver of each.


A taste of three kinds of cheesecake. See how thick the crunch base is. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

No contest. Sorry about this. I like the plain cheesecake. I normally love sticky toffee pudding and chocolate anything. However, the flavour masked the cheesiness of the cheesecake. That was a surprise for me. So it isn't only the texture which makes the all-round experience. It must also be the flavour.

I said, "The vanilla has a tanginess, a sharpness, like sour yogurt. You lose that in the sugar and rival flavours."

My son said, "I don't think it's the cheese, not just the cheese. I think they must add lemon. That's what you are tasting."

So now you know.

The 'small size' liver punnet was big enough for me to take a portion and divide it into half. That half, divided again, was an appetizer for my next two meals. Like cheesecake, a little chopped liver goes a long way.

B & K Salt Beef Bar, Restaurant, Take-Away and Deli
The Broadway
353 Uxbridge Road
Hatch End
Pinner
Middlesex
HA5 4JN
England
UK

Tel: 01923 518693

Where is it? The opposite side of the road to Hatch End station, which is on the Watford-Euston railway line. If you are driving, you can park outside in the slip road, if you are lucky. I am nearly always lucky. But I prefer to walk.

They have another branch in Edgware.
http://www.bksaltbeefbar.com

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.
Please see my other reviews of restaurants in London, destinations all over the world and learning languages. Follow, bookmark and share links to your favourite posts.


No comments: