Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, March 31, 2017

Football museums in Maderia, Manchester and worldwide


Problems
Where to take your sporty kids and husband on holiday? How to make conversation with a taxi driver whose first question is which football team do you support?

Answers
Football museums are great outings and good topics of conversation. You can plan a visit, dream of a visit, talk about the venue.

1 Cristiano Ronaldo Museum, Funchal, Madeira (Portuguese island)
2 Football Museum, Manchester, England

Story
When I was teaching English to an English-speaking pupil in England who had no interest in essay writing I asked him to write me a two page essay. I suggested several subjects, inducing, his family, his school, the area where he lived, music, gardens. Blank looks. So I asked, "What are your interests? What do you do at weekends all day?" His only interest was football. After a moment registering what seemed a dead end, I said brightly: "What would you like to write about - your favourite footballer, your favourite team, the rules of football?" He brightened up, but could not find a sentence to say.

I persisted. "What football programme do you watch? Can you write down the time and name for me so I can watch it? What's the name of your favourite team?"

I wondered whether I had achieved my purpose. I had. The next week he came back with a long English essay, four A4 pages! All about football. I was delighted.

I am now geared up to give a speech or encourage a speaker, using football, football museums and statues of footballers as the subject.

Football Sculptures To See
Bust of Cristiano Ronaldo at Cristiano Ronaldo airport, Madeira
Splash (was outside the original site of the Football Museum which was in Preston and has moved to Manchester. See Wikipedia shows pictures of the Bobby Moore sculpture at Wembley Stadium, London, England
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_association_football_statues

The Sir Tom Finney, a pub in Penwortham, near Preston.

Tips
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_Museum
Urbis Building, Cathedral Gardens, Todd St, City Centre, Manchester M4 3BG, UK
Phone: +44 161 605 8200.
Opened: February 16, 2001
Hours: Open today (Friday March 31 2017)· 10AM–5PM.
The museum contains the Lowry painting: Going To The Match.

At the end of the Wikipedia article you will find links to the Hall of Fame for many other countries and areas such as Asia, Australia, Canada, Germany, Israel, Scotland.

Summary of Sites To Visit
UK
The Sir Tom Finney, a pub in Penwortham, near Preston.
Statue Splash (still in Preston?)

Portuguese
Bust of Cristiano Ronaldo at airport, Madeira
http://www.complex.com/style/2014/06/the-most-important-soccer-statues-worldwide/headbutt

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.
Please like, follow and share my posts.

No comments: