Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, March 5, 2017

More Malay Words from TV programme titles


Problem
How do you get interested in Malay? Just look at words around you and on line. the language structure is in some ways quite easy.
I and my are the same word. Here are some more words from the day's news programmes:

Malay - English
b e r i t a - news
c i l i k - young
Cina - China
d a t u k - grandfather
d e t i k - second
jalan - way / road
jalan d a t u k saya - the way of my grandfather / grandpa's road
kenegeri - the land
kenegeri cina - the land of China
m a s y a r a k a t - community
saya - I (or my)
skuad - squad / team ; skuad cilik - young squad / team

English - Malay
China - c i n a
community - m a s y a r a k a t
I / my - s a y a
grandfather - d a t u k (like Dad but older)
land - k e n e g e r i
news - b e r i t a
road / way - jalan
second - d e t i k (the letter d often starts two or second, as in duo, duet, dual, double)
squad / team - s k u a d (the sound is the same but a q is turned into a K)
Young - c i l i k

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, teacher of English and other languages and public speaking.

No comments: